Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Opinions Please on Washing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/opinions-please-washing-machine-t139019.html)

feffertim 07-20-2011 11:55 AM

well, I have just the opposite opinion. I had a front loader for some years, and it does save on water, did not take any longer than a regular washer and I was quite happy with it. WHen I moved into my daughters home, they have a top loader and my clothes suddenly were much cleaner. I don't know if it is a difference in the water in Calif from west virginia, but I saw a huge difference.

GAgal 07-20-2011 12:02 PM

Had a front loader. Lasted 1 week past the warranty. Wouldn't buy another one. It was so noisy when spinning. Sounded like a jet engine taking off.

I now have a top loader without an agitator. LOVE it! It is a GE Profile. There is a connection between the washer and dryer to tell the dryer what you just washed and it knows how long to dry it. Love doing laundry with this setup.

Tartan 07-20-2011 12:03 PM

Someone I know had a problem with their front loader. The pockets of one of the boys pants had some gravel in them and it got down between the drum? Needed a service call and wasn't even a year old. I have also heard reports of children crawling in the front loaders. If you don't have any little ones it shouldn't be a concern. Check out the Consummer's Report ratings and see what they have to say.

MCH 07-20-2011 12:17 PM

I have a Kitchen Aid FL and dryer; both sit on the pedestals / drawers.

It seems the clothes are cleaner. The spin cycles greatly reduce the amount of moisture in the clothes at the end of the cycle, making drying time less.

I've washed a king-size matlasse coverlet in it; no capacity issues. Also have washed a queen size quilt in it, as well as a twin size quilt. All items came out fine and looked great out of the dryer.

Here's my latest story, re: a front-loading washer and dryer. I washed 3 acrylic sweaters I wore in high school (several decades ago)in the washing machine this week. I used the delicate cycle for washing and same for the dryer. They came out looking brand new and sparkling clean. One of the sweaters was hand-knitted for me in ~ 1964 by my now-husband's grandmother. No damage or any sort to them.

Addendum: I also have washed and dried my baptismal dress from 1953 (organdy, eyelet, and lace) in those same machines. Same results as with the 3 sweaters.

My only criticism of the front-loading washer is that it's a bit dark when looking into the tub to be sure all the items are out. Big deal...

BTW, if you pull out the drawer in the pedestal, it makes a great place to put the laundry basket for transferring laundry into the washer and out of the dryer.

Go with the front loader. IMHO

jillnjo 07-20-2011 12:24 PM

I have an LG front loader and really like it. I usually use the extra water feature because the front loaders use much less water and I noticed that my towels sometimes smelled like they didn't get clean and that takes care of it. All washing machines are going to the same water conserving features so we won't have a lot of choice one of these days.

AFQSinc 07-20-2011 12:28 PM

I have an LG front loader. It is my second one. I love it. The sanitary cycle has super hot water and is about 2.5 hours long. The things that come out of that cycle are practically sterile!

The clothes get cleaner. Also, I wear alot of black and I have not had any problems with fading. The front loaders are much more gentle on the clothes.

Also, the front loader is going to be more water efficient than an agitatorless top loader. I am on a septic system so that is a concern for me as I do tons of laundry.

Go for the front loader. You won't be sorry!

shawnemily 07-20-2011 12:53 PM

Stay away from the GE front loader! Mine takes forever to wash. Even on the "short cycle"! At least an hour and the timer says 38 minutes! AND if you have any pets the hair will clog the drain and you have to take the front of the machine apart pull out the filter; which leaks lots of water all over the floor, then clean the hair or whatever out of the filter and put it all back together! I'm glad I looked online and found out about that filter or I would have paid big bucks for a service call!! I wont buy another GE. I do want another front loader though, when the time comes!

virtualbernie 07-20-2011 01:03 PM

I have the LG Washer and Dryer on Pedestals and I love them. The washer does take longer to wash but it still uses less water (my water bill is way way down) and I can put the equivalent of 3 of my old machine loads in one load of the LG and the clothes still come out cleaner. Actually the time it takes to wash is faster because I'm only washing one load versus 3!

hobbykat1955 07-20-2011 03:21 PM

I have front loader dryer and washer Frigitaire...They both have many diff settings for load type...After I bought it I started to read complaints on the internet...abt smell that devs in the washer...But I've been leaving the door open after the wash to dry out and never had a smell and it's o/ a yr...I love them both...and I have them on top of each other so it takes up less rm.

sewmuch 07-20-2011 03:27 PM

I have a front loader and love it, get things much cleaner than
my top loader did, uses less water and soap....mine are about
5 years old and no trouble...Holds my king bedding too... :thumbup: