Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Organic Gardening? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/organic-gardening-t105988.html)

CarrieAnne 03-08-2011 07:55 AM

LOL, I KNOW this is a QUILTING board, but I NEED to save money to buy fabric, lol!
I try to go organic every year, but I amit, I do use Sevin dust on my potatoes, and cabbage, broccoli, or the bugs would eat them all away. I once almost ate a green worm on my broccoli, same color and I nearly didnt see him, so I POISIN the broccoli, lol!
Anyone have some good tips.
Heres a few of mine!
I saw all my newspapers, except the colored and glossy pages, white paper and cardboard and use it beween rows. I cover it with lawn clippings, old wood chips, and leaves, and the weeds down come up through.

Save all lawn trimmings, and toss in pile for compost. even food from the house, like banana peels and coffee grounds.

Buy plants from garage sales andtry to start your own.
I know experienced gardners would know this, but it may help someone learning!!!!!!
Ay tips to ad? Anything, because I think we are ALWAYS learning new stuff!

Caroline S 03-08-2011 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
LOL, I KNOW this is a QUILTING board, but I NEED to save money to buy fabric, lol!
I try to go organic every year, but I amit, I do use Sevin dust on my potatoes, and cabbage, broccoli, or the bugs would eat them all away. I once almost ate a green worm on my broccoli, same color and I nearly didnt see him, so I POISIN the broccoli, lol!
Anyone have some good tips.
Heres a few of mine!
I saw all my newspapers, except the colored and glossy pages, white paper and cardboard and use it beween rows. I cover it with lawn clippings, old wood chips, and leaves, and the weeds down come up through.

Save all lawn trimmings, and toss in pile for compost. even food from the house, like banana peels and coffee grounds.

Buy plants from garage sales andtry to start your own.
I know experienced gardners would know this, but it may help someone learning!!!!!!
Ay tips to ad? Anything, because I think we are ALWAYS learning new stuff!

Have you tried floating row covers on you veggies? It helps to keep the bugs off. I buy some and recycle my used dryer sheets and make some by sewing them together. You would be surprised how much yardage you can make from the. I also use them in the bottom of pots to keep the soil from washing out.

The only thing that I put in the trash is plastic, unless I can re-purpose in the greenhouse or garden. I spray half gallon milk jugs black, fill with water and put them on the back of the greenhouse benches to absorb heat during the day. Milk jugs with the bottoms cut off make good hot caps. I cut up empty bleach bottles to make plant markers.

The chickens get all of the food scraps, all of the papertowels, coffee grounds anything that the chickens won't eat goes to the compost pile. The magazines and paper that are colored and glossy I do used as a mulch down my daylily borders but never in the garden. They are covered with weed cloth then, small pebbles and rocks as a permanent mulch. See pic.

I start all of my own vegetables in my greenhouse. About the only thing I do buy is herb plants which I grow in pots on the deck which are ornamental and convenient to my kitchen.

Rock mulched daylily border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157299[/ATTACH]

CarrieAnne 03-08-2011 08:39 AM

Your picture is SO pretty! No, never tried floating row covers. I will research that. Thanks so much for the tips!!!!!!!!!

Caroline S 03-08-2011 10:08 AM

I should have also mentioned, BT for catapiller critters. It is BACILLIS THURINGIENSIS. It is a natually occurring bacterium and is acceptable for use on edible plants up to the day of harvest. It kills worms and caterpillar stage insects and has no effect on birds, earthworms, bees and ladybugs. I have used it occasionally but my natural control is the multitude of wasps that hunt for the caterpillars and keep my veggies clean.

Ramona Byrd 03-08-2011 10:36 AM

Cut off the bottoms of all the onion family, garlic, chives, leeks, etc, and replant them. They will come up and you'll have a constant supply of them forever. I'm going to try some more of the underground ones to see if they will do the same, but my WV Grandma just did the onion family.

CarrieAnne 03-08-2011 11:46 AM

Thanks for the tips! I will look for BT!