Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Orphan Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/orphan-blocks-t265306.html)

BETTY62 05-17-2015 08:19 PM

Orphan Blocks

I have noticed a few requests for orphan blocks and I am curious as to what an individual does with these. Do they make a quilt with a lot of diferent colors and designs or are they used for another purpose?

Flowergurl 05-17-2015 11:16 PM

I use my own blocks that don't come out just right to make chicken pincushions.
I am not sure what everyone else does with them.

nwm50 05-18-2015 02:52 AM

Sometimes I make doll quilts with them, just add a few more strips to the blocks
.or I leave in a marked box of extra blocks and may add to an quilt that needs a different look to them

sandy l 05-18-2015 02:55 AM

I've been sorting mine out, then plan on putting some sashing around some to make them all one size. Then I'll make some larger panels, very large squares, etc and use them as part of the backing on my quilts. At least that's the plan right now:)

lass 05-18-2015 03:03 AM

My guild makes cuddle buddy bags to give to children who have been sexually abused, so I take the orphan block and enlarge it and then use it to practice free motion quilting. We put the mini quilt in a bag that we have made with a stuffed animal. Last year the guild donated 250 quilts to the local group who helps these children and the local sheriff's dept.

Bubbie 05-18-2015 04:35 AM

Used to take some to one of my favorite quilt shops, she always had a basket to drop off orphans in (no questions asked). If you dropped off then you could pick up. I've used orphans to make pot holders, placemats. Have used a number of them to make a sampler quilt, have used some of mine and some I've picked up to make quilts. I've also cut up some blocks and made new ones

Homespun 05-18-2015 06:30 AM

Anna from California is making NICU quilts. Add borders to make them about 14 inches...use flannel on back.

shasta5718 05-18-2015 07:19 AM

Sash them and make a sampler quilt for charity, or a gift for a child.

helou 05-18-2015 07:39 AM

I use mine to make "shopping" bags or grocery bags or else. They are washable and useful. when I showed some to my SIL she said: "you could sell those, they are great" I make them to give not to sell.

madamekelly 05-18-2015 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by helou (Post 7199185)
I use mine to make "shopping" bags or grocery bags or else. They are washable and useful. when I showed some to my SIL she said: "you could sell those, they are great" I make them to give not to sell.

This ought to bring a smile (or grimace) from all of you. I made my DD 10 grocery bags out of cotton so she could use them as she likes. First, I must say this is a brilliant student who got straight A's in school. A little over a year later, I asked how they were working out. She replied, "They were great, can you make me more?". What?? She explained "I used all of them the first month." ?! I just had to ask her how. She told me " They held everything I needed, but after using each one, I threw them away" (because she heard that they were not very sanitary). It never occurred to her to wash them! We had a good laugh, and I made her 10 more, and put washing instructions on each of them!