Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/osteoarthritis-knee-best-treatments-ideas-you-know-t186518.html)

barnbum 04-18-2012 04:44 PM

Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of?

Just wanted to hear from those who have had this diagnosis.
What's worked well?
Your story?

JudyMN 04-18-2012 04:51 PM

Leg strengthening exercises helped. I went to a physical therapist for 6 weeks and had vast improvements in pain levels along with the Advil. I was even able to wear heels to our son's wedding.

Hope you get some relief.

skowron5 04-18-2012 04:57 PM

I went to a Cihropactor I know alot of people don't believe in them, but it did help for awhile, I probably will go back and see if I can get relief again.

I tried physical therapy, medication, they can tape your knee with a special tape but nothing seemed to work for me.

I do use a cane and that does help. Glad you could wear heels to your son's wedding. I think I am in for orthopedic shoes from now on.

I hope you get some relief. I know how hard it is to not get relief.

ShabbyTabby 04-18-2012 05:02 PM

Knee replacement....I've had both knees replaced (one at a time) when the pain gets so bad you can't enjoy walking anymore go see an orthpedic surgeon. It's an 8 week recovery with therapy but it's worth it, believe me.

barnbum 04-18-2012 05:02 PM

I will start with a PT shortly--will set the appt tomorrow. PA said 600 mg of Ibuprofen three times a day. Do you take Advil daily?

I got a cortisone shot today.

This is just the beginning--it doesn't really hurt--just swelling. Well--more irritating. I was running... and I can again... eventually. Maybe.

Thanks for the replies!

heljoy50 04-18-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby (Post 5152192)
Knee replacement....I've had both knees replaced (one at a time) when the pain gets so bad you can't enjoy walking anymore go see an orthpedic surgeon. It's an 8 week recovery with therapy but it's worth it, believe me.

This is what I am doing, I have put it off but now the pain is too great and I am using crutches, I have it in both knees. My appointment is next month and I am so looking forward to whatever the surgeon advises.

ChaiQuilter 04-18-2012 05:36 PM

Don't take Advil or similar products every day for a long period of time. Ask your doctor. Besides the one most people know about - internal bleeding - it has many other side effects, one of which is a ringing in the ears.

EllieGirl 04-18-2012 05:52 PM

I started having knee problems 10 years ago. I went to PT many times. I can't take non-steroidal meds so. I had to rely on Tylenol. I ended up with a knee replacement on the right knee in 08 and a replacement on the left knee last May.

In the meantime until you go that route, alternate heat/ice. Heat helps with the stiffness and ice relieves the pain. I don't think it can be stressed enough but exercise is very important. If you go to PT they will teach you exercises and you need to do them. Exercise of 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes, and stretching after, will keep your muscles loose and strong.

Prism99 04-18-2012 06:49 PM

I was first diagnosed with osteoarthritis of both knees about 15 years ago. What I found stopped the progression was taking a combination of calcium citrate, glucosamine chondritin, and Vitamin D3 (plus a little magnesium). It had initially gotten progressively worse fairly fast (over a period of a year or two); however, after starting on the supplements it has pretty much stopped getting worse and just stayed the same. (Incidentally, this was nothing that my doctor told me to do; I did this on my own!)

Strengthening the leg muscles helps too.

I would be cautious about taking too many NSAIDs. I used to be able to tolerate them in abundance, but now they cause bleeding problems for me and I have to reserve them for only occasional use.

Jim's Gem 04-18-2012 09:27 PM

I take Mobic, an anti-inflammatory. I got a cortisone shot in my knee but it didn't do anything for me. Will be starting other injections here sometime. Right now taking a break on the knee as I just had foot surgery yesterday. I am off the foot for at least 4 weeks. Once I can start walking again we will get back to the knee troubles.
I hope the shot works for you. The cortisone does not seem to work on me. I also take several suppliments including some MSM crystals. I am hoping to put the knee replacement off a few years.