Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ostomy Bag Cover Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ostomy-bag-cover-pattern-t268308.html)

caspoohbear 08-02-2015 02:15 PM

Ostomy Bag Cover Pattern

Looking for a pattern to make a cover for ostomy bags. The part I'm struggling with is how to make a round hole on the back side, how to cut the hole and sew a seam around a round hole.
Thanks!

Barb in Louisiana 08-02-2015 09:15 PM

I did a quick search for Ostomy bag cover pattern. This one appears to have good instructions. http://sewing.about.com/od/healthbea...n-Tutorial.htm

KalamaQuilts 08-03-2015 07:01 AM

you could also take a new one apart and use it for pattern guideline?
Would the hole be handled like sewing binding around a sleeve hole? Maybe with the hole gathered a bit and fine elastic enclosed in the circle hem?

Interesting project (hugs to you for even thinking of it)

didi 08-03-2015 11:06 AM

My sister has an ostomy bag and she makes her own and also for other people.
This is how she explained it to me: find a drinking glass the size hole that you need. draw a circle on 2 piece of white material, sew around the circle, then cut a cross in the center of the circle, then trim around the inside of the hole. Turn inside out. Then find the material you want for the front, sew this to the white pieces around the edges, then turn inside out.
She said it might take you a few trys, before you get it right. She said you could call her and she will try to explain it better over the phone or might send you one for pattern. Send me a private post for her phone number.

JanieH 08-03-2015 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by didi (Post 7275982)
This is how she explained it to me: find a drinking glass the size hole that you need. draw a circle on 2 piece of white material, sew around the circle, then cut a cross in the center of the circle, then trim around the inside of the hole. Turn inside out. Then find the material you want for the front, sew this to the white pieces around the edges, then turn inside out.
She said it might take you a few trys, before you get it right. She said you could call her and she will try to explain it better over the phone or might send you one for pattern. Send me a private post for her phone number.

I don't need one but just wanted to say how sweet and thoughtful of you and your sister to go the extra mile on helping her!

caspoohbear 08-04-2015 03:51 AM

thanks!

Originally Posted by didi (Post 7275982)

I think I can get it from that! very kind of you both for the offer. I traced an empty bag for the pattern. I was trying to do the trick of cutting every 1/2 inch and folding it back, but ended up applique gluing the tabs to hold them down for sewing, because too many to pin. I also learned to be aware of where my bag is when pinning a baby quilt on my lap! Pinned the quilt to my shorts, then thought uh-oh, thankfully it was just "a close one". Would have hated to get poop on the quilt before the baby every got to use it!

caspoohbear 08-04-2015 03:54 AM

thanks for checking into this!

madamekelly 08-04-2015 02:32 PM

Measure the diameter of the hole you need, then place two fabrics right side to right side, draw the correct size circle on the top piece. Sew around the circle, clip out the center leaving about 3/8" around inside, clip curves and reverse by tucking one piece through the center of the other. Finger press ,then iron it, and now treat it as a single piece of fabric. Cut front piece out of same size fabric, layer it wrong side up over piece with the hole, stitch around the edges, clip seams and turn. This will make a basic cover, but you can alter it any way you need to for fit.