Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Other "Military" Moms will understand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/other-%22military%22-moms-will-understand-t139955.html)

moonwork42029 07-24-2011 11:36 AM

Trying to work on swap blocks today...this is last day of son's leave before he is deployed for over year...sooo looking through teardrops while sewing.

Didn't want to go to his house today so his girls will pay attention to him instead of Nana...they are 5yr, 2 yrs & 3mo and don't understand Dad won't be back for a long time. Hard decision for me and I'm not known for my willpower.

I asked them to stop by my office in the morning so I could tell him good bye before they take him back to the base. Then I doubt if I'll be much good at work for awhile....lucky for me my boss is very understanding.

Husband had to leave for work so it's just me and the cats home today.

So it's sewing I will do...hope the blocks line up.

carolaug 07-24-2011 11:39 AM

Oh go and visit...both the kids and your son will love seeing you!!! I do know how hard it is...my son was stationed soooo farr away that I only saw him once a year if that ...so glad he is now stationed only 1 hour 1/2 away. Get on Skpe!!! It makes a world of difference! We would only do it on holidays and here and there...but it was awesome!!! Just like they were visiting us here at the house. Also texting....on the cell phone get unlimited...and use it daily...

charlotte37830 07-24-2011 11:39 AM

I'm so sorry for you. I know when I dropped my son off at the recruiting office the day before he was to leave for basic training, I was a mess. I drove right through a stop sign that I couldn't see for the tears. When he left for a year of deployment, it was even worse. I'm praying for his safe return and that the time will go swiftly by.

alikat110 07-24-2011 11:40 AM

YOU HAVE ME IN TEARS!!!

raedar63 07-24-2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Oh go and visit...both the kids and your son will love seeing you!!! I do know how hard it is...my son was stationed soooo farr away that I only saw him once a year if that ...so glad he is now stationed only 1 hour 1/2 away. Get on Skpe!!! It makes a world of difference! We would only do it on holidays and here and there...but it was awesome!!! Just like they were visiting us here at the house. Also texting....on the cell phone get unlimited...and use it daily...

Carolaug,You were one of the lucky ones, my son was in the Marines and when he was deployed he didn't have cell phones and had access to email about once or twice a month.:(

Moonwork, I feel your pain....

amma 07-24-2011 12:00 PM

(((HUGS))) Go and visit... an hour or two spent together won't take away from their family time (((HUGS)))

tealady 07-24-2011 12:00 PM

I definitely know the feeling. My son is actually home (his wife's hometown way up north)on leave right now - scheduled to go back soon. we were abke to see him week before last.

lisainmo 07-24-2011 12:01 PM

From one military mom to another ...I do understand what you are going through. My son has been stationed in Korea for 5 years..Iraq a year and Afghanistan a year. He has been home for 2 months..he lives in the state of Washington and has a family there. I haven't seen him for a 2 years..but decided this time was for his family, my grandbabies needed to know who daddy was. I am hoping to see him before he returns to Afghanistan.
When he is settled in hopefully you can be in contact with him on the computer via Skype or Yahoo...Internet makes all of that very easy.
((((Hugs)))) if you ever need to talk PM me!

irishrose 07-24-2011 12:09 PM

Go see him and remind yourself it's an honorable thing he's doing. That's how I got through my son's eight years. Tell him we all are proud of him and will pray for him and his comrades in arms.

moonwork42029 07-24-2011 12:12 PM

This is his 3rd deployment so you'd think I'd be use to it. His first daughter was 3 mos also when he was deployed before so I really want him to have "family time".

They stopped by yesterday for several hours and we got to have a great lunch together as a family so I did get to see him/them.

I know I'll cry and don't want the GD's to see Nana crying and have them upset when it should be a happy night for them. They'll have a 6 plus hour trip tomorrow so it will be a long day for them.

Yes I have offered to go along on the trip to take him back but they think all will be fine without me going...my boss has even offered to drive me up if something comes up where she can't travel back by herself...how's that for a good boss?

Sigh...this too shall pass, let's just hope it passes quickly.