Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   other names for grandma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/other-names-grandma-t263219.html)

nanacc 03-27-2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace (Post 7143443)
Here in the south, Maw Maw is used ALOT!

That's what my Grandmothers were to me, don't know where it started. I've been Nana from the start with DGS. I do know that children will sometimes decide for themselves. We had a pretty big surprise when DGS came up with his name for grandpa. We had a schnauzer that was his watchdog and buddy from the beginning. His name was Puder Tute(my version of Powder Horn in German..right or wrong!). We could not get DGS to say grandpa at first, but DD called one day to say he was trying to tell them about grandpa and he finally came out with "Poopa"! All we can figure out is that he took the sounds of Puder and grandpa and combined them! Sorry for the long tale.

GrammaNan 03-27-2015 01:51 PM

My intention was to have my GK call me Gramma Nan. My DS kids call me Gramma Last name and I don't like it. They call their other grandma...grandma. My DD's little girl will be two in a couple of months and she calls me Mae-Mae. I love it.

lynnie 03-27-2015 02:21 PM

Me-maw hows that one?

SewExtremeSeams 03-27-2015 02:25 PM

Two of my grandchildren used to refer to us as Grandma and Grandpa Far because we live what they call "a longgg ways away." Their other grandparents live in town. I like being called Grandma Linda.

Susanna10 03-27-2015 02:37 PM

We are called Granddad and Grandma with the kittens. We have cats.

Stitchnripper 03-27-2015 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 7143356)

That was a fun list to read. It did have "Glammy" which my dear friend chose, and I love her and she is great, but "glammy" she is not!

We are Grandma and Grandpa and I never worried about it making me sound old. Mr. Stitchnripper is 12 years my junior and step grandparent and he embraced the Grandpa and the grandkids adore him. Their other grandmother chose Nana. We were very close which was great for the kids but sadly, she passed a couple of years ago.

If I couldn't be Grandma I'd want to be Grammy, Gram or something like that with my initial or name. Like Grammy A.

francie yuhas 03-27-2015 03:07 PM

I was "chicken gramma" until the kids got old enough to drop the chicken part. The other DGM lives in the city.

Mariposa 03-27-2015 03:11 PM

Around here, we are Grammy & Papa.
Great-grandma became Gigi~

mrs. fitz 03-27-2015 03:15 PM

I had two wonderful grandmothers. Mom's mother was Granny. Dad's mom was Grandma. Never had to wonder which one I was speaking about.
My husband's two oldest grandchildren, now in their 30's, have always called him Pancake. When first grandchild Kristi was about two she announced she had so many grandfathers - her dad's father, her dad's grandfather, her mother's father, her mother's stepfather, and even my dad got in there. My parents became Grandma and Grandpa Ted. Because we always took the family to IHOP when we visited them in Florida my husband became "the Pancake Grandpa" which quickly became Pancake. The other grandchildren call him Grandpa Jack (and me Grandma Verna) but to Kristi and Bobby it's Pancake to this day.

nativetexan 03-27-2015 03:23 PM

I am one of many Grandmothers. I tried for Grandmama but it didn't take. I think I"m GrandmaCase and Mom to my son. Had to call my own Mother, Mother. Never Mom.