Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Our life in old pictures..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/our-life-old-pictures-t273170.html)

ljptexas 12-10-2015 05:51 AM

Our life in old pictures.....

http://www.roncaskey.com/articles/Ou...u-Remember.php
I related to many.... I'm 71...

mrs. fitz 12-10-2015 07:02 AM

Thanks ljptexas, I remember almost every one of them. Just had a nice memory of my mother very patiently putting tinsel on our Christmas tree strand by strand. I think everybody who looks at these pictures will have an instant mental comment about each picture. My guess for the hardest one to identify just from a photo, the adapters for 45 rpm records.

Feather3 12-10-2015 07:06 AM

I'm 58 & related to many....in fact I still have the old kitchen table/pull up center leaf & chairs, but mine is Grey & the chairs have chrome handles. I think I still have a set of those gold leaf glasses in a box on the attic among others that have gold or copper trim. Some of the items, even tho we had them way back when, you can still get here. I have many old things that were my Grandparents or Great Grandparents, that I still use today. Much better than the cheap junk you can buy now. My house is 101 years old. I have hand built, hand carved, furniture dating back to the late 1800's & wouldn't trade it for anything. As for the outhouse....we have many Amish here that still use them, also many hunting camps have them too. Most of the older items pictured were built to last for many years, unlike anything made today. Sad.

When my Brother bought his house the previous owners left a lot of stuff behind. One of those items was a push floor cleaner made by Bissel....it was made of wood. You won't find that today.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane :).

Feather3 12-10-2015 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz (Post 7399858)
Thanks ljptexas, I remember almost every one of them. Just had a nice memory of my mother very patiently putting tinsel on our Christmas tree strand by strand. I think everybody who looks at these pictures will have an instant mental comment about each picture. My guess for the hardest one to identify just from a photo, the adapters for 45 rpm records.

Actually Amazon sells them. I still have all my 45's.

quiltsRfun 12-10-2015 07:21 AM

Nice trip down memory lane.

Chasing Hawk 12-10-2015 08:58 AM

Gosh let's see, I remember: it's easier to say what I don't remember.
the conga line, frosted glasses, Evening in Paris cologne, soda fountains, never used an outhouse.....ever!...sock hops.

I loved my saddle shoes, I always made sure I didn't scuff the white parts. My parents divorced when I was about 11, at Mom's house she always had a tree w/tinsel strands. At home living w/ Dad we had an aluminum tree. That dang tree was such a pain to put together. Every branch had to be placed in it's own hole. And it didn't have light, but a rotating tri colored lens set a few feet away on the floor. And it had red and green glass ornaments. My Mom still does her hair with bobby pins, she said they were pin curls. We weren't allowed jacks after Dad stepped on one in the middle of the night. My Aunt used a mascara brush like the one pictured.

Quilty-Louise 12-10-2015 09:23 AM

I remember 28, and I am 51.

Kitsie 12-10-2015 09:36 AM

At 74 I remember every one! Especially using the old washing machine - well, it was new to us! I had helped Nana use her WOODEN one!!

Quilty-Louise 12-10-2015 10:09 AM

Of ALL my memories my two WORST are of the outhouse (even in the 70's)
that was in our back yard, and of the old wringer washer.

When we moved across the state in 1973 we moved into a 3 room house
and one of those rooms was NOT the bathroom (kitchen, living room & 1 bedroom).
The people next door would leave their back door unlocked for us (mainly me) to use
their spare bathroom (at that time it was rare to have more than 1 in a small 2 bedroom
house.

But of ALL my bad memories I think the ordeal of my hand going through the
wringers THREE (yes 3) times in one summer. Dr. told my parents that if I did
it again I would end up breaking all the bones in my hand. They banded me from
helping my friend doing laundry (it was her parents washer).

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 7399977)
At 74 I remember every one! Especially using the old washing machine - well, it was new to us! I had helped Nana use her WOODEN one!!

ManiacQuilter2 12-10-2015 10:13 AM

I recently discovered a pile of old pictures of relatives I don't recognize. After Christmas, I will need to take time to sort thru them all. One is an actual tin type photo of two women with the date 1875 on it.