Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Outfitting a laundry room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/outfitting-laundry-room-t247394.html)

Doggramma 05-26-2014 12:29 PM

Lucky you! I just have a closet off the bedroom. Open the doors and there's the washer and dryer. No sink, no shelves, no trash bin. I miss having a sink and a place to hang clothes other than the shower rod.

Elise1 05-26-2014 02:02 PM

I don't know if your space has walls, but I hugs some bright, colorful quilts in my laundry room to cheer it up.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t185572.html

Elise

helou 05-26-2014 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes I think you might like a rubber mat better than a rug because of lint even a leftover piece of linoleum that stores might have. I agree, an extra faucet is useful, and a bucket, it does not need to be an extra sink as long as there is a drain nearby. This what the plumber did in the workshp where the water comes into the house, and the drain is right beneath. We had it finished this way because we have a bedroom downstairs and our visitors are our age or older so we needed another toilet specially during the night if need be.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476945[/ATTACH]

Cybrarian 05-26-2014 02:48 PM

I have a laundry tub not a sink. It allows me to wash or soak big things that won't go in my kitchen sink or things I don't want in my sink. It also gives me a great spot to wash our 2 dogs. They are each about 40 lbs and short hairs so this saves us a good amount of money and no bending over the bathroom tub :-)

ube quilting 05-26-2014 03:04 PM

Don't forget good lighting and a fun wall color. I have a small ironing station right by the W/D so anything can be quickly pressed and hung.

I also have a cloths line w/ hangers across a small area to hang finished laundry and not have it in a basket.

Jingle 05-26-2014 05:05 PM

My laundry room was added on along with a living room and bedroom (now my sewing room. It is between the kitchen and sewing room. I have oak cabinets top and bottoms with about a 90 " or so countertop, an oak wooden pantry closet thing W/ narrow shelves. I keep my laundry products and bug spray in top section, hardware in plastic drawers, etc. in bottom section. We also have a pantry closet w/wire shelves. I have pans , etc. I use a few times a year. I have lots of storage. We don't have a basement.

solstice3 05-27-2014 04:56 AM

I miss my deep utility sink from my old house. If I ever have room for one, I will have another.

fayeberry 05-27-2014 06:07 AM

The best laundry room feature I ever had was a pull down ironing board in a cabinet. I don't love to iron, but that was so convenient to pull out, use and put away. It also had a little shelf to store the iron. Oh, the things we love as we get older! Alas, moved from that house and no room for this in current laundry room.

shasta5718 05-27-2014 06:55 AM

I had a rod placed above the dryer to hang empty hangers. Makes it handy to put clothes on after drying. I bought a portable hanger to transfer the clothes onto. I also have a soaking sink. Tip if you do do not get a stainless steel if you like to soak bleach loads. It only took about 6 months for the bleach to eat holes and make rust. The manufacture stated it was not meant for that so no help there. Also had a shelf above the dryer rod to put cleaning products on.

Tothill 05-27-2014 06:58 AM

I would love to redo my laundry room. It is fairly large, but has 4 doorways on 3 walls plus a wide window on the fourth. The windows sounds great, but there is a large deck on the floor above and very little light comes through it.

Last week my $5.00 thrift shop table collapsed for the third time, I am going to replace instead of another temporary repair. It is time to go. We used to use an 8 foot folding table, but it was too big for the space. I will check out a 6 foot folding table.

The washer and dryer are under the window, there is a single basin kitchen sink to the left of the washer with one upper cabinet above it. The sink cabinet needs a new counter top, all the cabinets need a good coat of paint, the wood has been bare for 50 years, and the floor is bare concrete.

There is a chest freezer, perfect height to use as a cutting table opposite the washer and dryer between two of the doors.

And wood paneling on the walls.

I would love to paint the cabinets and walls a very pale creamy yellow,