Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   ovarian cancer awareness tomorrow 9/2, wear teal! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ovarian-cancer-awareness-tomorrow-9-2-wear-teal-t149702.html)

sarahrachel 09-01-2011 06:10 PM

Copied and pasted from a facebook event, but for all of those not on facebook or not aware

"Teal is the color of ovarian cancer awareness. On the first Friday in September, our national ovarian cancer awareness month, we urge everyone who cares about this disease to wear teal--and tell others why you are dressed in this color."

And even though I don't know anyone affected by this, I feel like we should let the world know, maybe make teal as associate with ovarian cancer as much as pink is for breast cancer.

I will gladly wear teal tomorrow and pick up an avon romance (they're donating $.25 for each book purchased with the KISS and Teal seal on it up to $25,000 for research) and I'm not trying to advertise, just spread awareness!

MegsAnn 09-01-2011 06:13 PM

good to know

Patty Patches 09-01-2011 06:29 PM

My mom is a six year surviour of ovarian canaer.

littlehud 09-01-2011 06:43 PM

Thanks for letting us know. I will be wearing teal tomorrow.

Favorite Fabrics 09-01-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
My mom is a six year survivor of ovarian cancer.

That's marvelous! She must be one of the lucky ones.

May in Jersey 09-01-2011 08:05 PM

My nephew's wife is a survivor of ovarian cancer and she emailed all of us about 9/2 suggesting we get pedicures and have our toe nails painted teal. A novel way to spread awareness. .

Feather3 09-01-2011 11:27 PM

I'm a 2 year survivor.

OC has almost no symptoms. That's why so many die from it. They're working on finding a test, but for now a CT scan is the only way & it's not fool proof. Many to most docs ignore the few symptoms you may have & brush them off as PMS or menopause. We women are used to monthly bloating, pain, appetite changes, etc, so they get ignored by us & our docs.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/news/Ne...early-symptoms

My Gyn/Oncologist said my softball sized tumor was probably growing for 2 years. It wasn't until it started pressing on the rest of my organs & causing problems, did I have any symptoms that had me insisting something was really wrong & not menopause. 3 trips to the doc, many urine tests, internals, etc, & not a clue. By then a month had passed. It wasn't until I had a CT scan that they found the softball sized cyst & then they weren't sure it was cancer. 3 docs told me they didn't think it was cancer, but just a cyst. My gut told me better & off to surgery I went. The cancer had spread to my acities(abdominal fluid), but no where else. I was lucky. I had to go for chemo treatments & have been cancer free for 2 years, 1 month & 2 days :).

Ladies do NOT let any doc tell you it's just a bad period, PMS or menopause. Insist on testing, testing & more testing, including a CT Scan. If you are told you have a large cyst seek out a Gynocology Oncologist, as they are the only ones who know how to deal with cancer. Early detection is key to surviving Ovarian Cancer.

MrsM 09-02-2011 09:22 AM

My art teacher for over 20 years and friend died from this cancer. I miss her so.

denise d 09-02-2011 09:32 AM

I am wearing my teal.

I had a neighbor/friend (in the transient Navy way) that had OC.

Literally she was fine one day and the next she was not. At the time it was one of the saddest stories of my life. She found out she was pregnant and dying within the same weekend. The baby did not make it.

I am guessing that she succumbed to the cancer, as we were moved and she retired from the Navy at around the same time.

CANCER SUCKS!!!!

sassey 09-02-2011 10:00 AM

I am wearing teal I am a 25 yr survivor WooWho