Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   overseas care package (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/overseas-care-package-t20698.html)

Rose Hall 05-29-2009 07:14 AM

dear all,

I know we have several people on the board who have family/friends serving overseas in the military.

My husbands' cousin was sent to Afghanistan (has already served at least 1 tour in Iraq, a discussion for another time...).

I would like to send a care package, but don't know what items ship best.

so far I have come up with
microwave popcorn
jolly ranchers
car and sports magazines
issues of local newspapers (I know they will be horribly out of date, but it's still local news).

I figured chocolate might melt too easily, maybe some oatmeal cookies???

all advice appreciated.
thanks,

Rose Hall

gaigai 05-29-2009 07:27 AM

Rose,

Go to the Boots on the Ground website for a list of things to send (and what not to send) as well as packing tips.

http://www.bootsonground.com/soldier...sted-items.htm

And I think it might be a good idea for some of us on this board to contribute or make up some packages for our troops. I'll bet that your cuz'n'law knows some soldiers who don't have family to send squishies, or maybe something could be sent to the whole squad. Whatcha think ladies?

PrettyKitty 05-29-2009 07:27 AM

I've not been in the forces, but when I lived in the US my Mom used to send me care packages. You are spot on with your idea of newspapers and magazines, even if they are out of date it is still so nice to read your favourite ones.

I've heard that the forces like to be sent small bottles of Tabasco or Worcestershire sauce to jazz up the bland food they get (that might just be the British forces though! :wink: )

Yeah, not chocolate as it will melt, but any snacks/chips that won't. Individually portioned ones are best as they can ration them without it going stale.

Toothpaste/brushes/razors/small bottle of moisturiser, baby oil or powder, deodorant, sunscreen, or shaving foam of hair gel? Nothing alcohol based though. I'm sure they can get these things but there is nothing like using your favourite brand.

Underwear? New socks? Chewing gum? Mints? Ramen noodles?

Oooh this is fun!

tlrnhi 05-29-2009 07:29 AM

Every thing you have on there is great.
If you make cookies, make sure you put them in ziplock baggies and take out as much air as you can. Sometimes it can take up to a month to get it to them.
-Cards are always good. Greeting cards with little notes in them, they are always welcomed.
-Little games...cards, small board games...the travel size ones
-Chapstick is a biggie they like.
-Powder...baby powder
-Gum is good
-If you send chocolate, M&Ms are good
-The powdered drinks that come in the tubes are great for them. Son in law says the water doesn't taste too good sometimes. You can get Crystal Light, Kool Aid, Powerade, Gatorade...tons of them out there...just look in the drink aisle.
-Sunblock/suntan lotion
-Baby wipes
-double A batteries
-
There's more I could put, the list goes on and on.
One thing my son in law did say was....beef jerky went over ok, not all that well. Alot of people would send it, but it only made them thirsty.

Piedmont Quilter 05-29-2009 08:51 AM

I also have family member depolyed over seas. One of the big things they ask for is trail mix. Also, cookies. I have even sent tubes of skole.

Knot Sew 05-29-2009 09:04 AM

Mimi sharon makes coolers that go around the neck neckhttp://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/1782.page

These are good anywhere it is summer :D

mkanderson 05-29-2009 10:24 AM

My youngest son was in Iraq 2004-2005 and he told me not to send Pork Skins (he loved them but said they couldn’t have them there!!!) I did send a lot of the Jerky and his buddies liked them --------then again, he was (most of the time) in the Green Zone at the Coalition Headquarters. He did go out all over Iraq with the commanders as he was over part of the communications, networking, phone, and routing.

The largest thing he asked of me in the summer time was BABY WIPES!!!!! He said that they would put them down in their shirts because it is so hot and the sand gets down in there! I would send 7-10 packages bought at the Dollar Tree each time I sent a package! It seemed he was always asking for them!
Mary

Rhonda 05-29-2009 10:42 AM

For us that don't know-- how do you send packages to them and who do you send them to. Is there a central person or org that will send the items you buy?

sharon b 05-29-2009 10:56 AM

When my nephew was there I went to the store and bought cookies, they seem to hold up better.(maybe all the preservatives?) And yes this time of year stick to the hard candy and chewing/bubble gum. M & M's , skittles seem to hold up ok.
Sharon

MadQuilter 05-29-2009 11:00 AM

One of the guys here got the flat rate packages from the post office to send to his son in the desert. That makes figuring out the size/postage restrictions easier. Suggest you check with your local USPS.