Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Overused words - - - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/overused-words-t270577.html)

bearisgray 10-01-2015 07:15 AM

I was at some event - and the speaker used "At this point in time . . . " about twenty times.

I started to keep count!

thimblebug6000 10-01-2015 07:50 AM

I use "actually" quite often... and when you try to change it's amazing just how often you catch yourself saying it
:D

zozee 10-01-2015 08:14 AM

I say "well" too often. Well, sometimes I use it to buy time while I think of what I'm gonna say. Or I'll drag it out before stating my opinion that's probably opposite what's wanted. ( "Well, I think you know what the truth is, but you don't want to admit it.").

The phrase that makes me want to grind my teeth to bits is "at the end of the day." Especially when I hear it at the beginning of the day!

SueSew 10-01-2015 08:21 AM

It is like nails scraping a blackboard (of course they are obsolete so you young'uns just imagine a horrible screech!) to hear:

'actually' - misused horribly repeatedly even on radio and TV

'reach out to' - people in business are always saying they will 'reach out to' someone but it doesn't mean they will ever touch them or speak to them or invite them to anything or give them an assignment or solicit their feedback.....I think it means 'pretend to make an effort at communication and be glad if there is no response'

'gotcha' - someone I know says this repeatedly whether or not she really has got it, or whether the person she is listening to has finished speaking...

mrs. fitz 10-01-2015 08:39 AM

Many years ago I had a boyfriend who made fun of how much I liked a movie, book, etc., as in "I really liked it" or "I really, really liked it" and so on. Now I find myself saying "actually" more than I should.

Words overused by others that drive me nuts - amazing (and "she did amazing"); awesome ("he did awesome"); anything that starts out with "so"; "well wishes" (where did that come from? what happened to sending someone good wishes?). I could go on and on but "actually"...I think I've said enough.

Tartan 10-01-2015 08:40 AM

​Repeated words don't bother me as long as they are positive. I don't allow negative words in my world.

Chasing Hawk 10-01-2015 08:47 AM

The word "perfect"

Kimkankwilt 10-01-2015 08:55 AM

"Amazing"....used to describe every meal.

oh munner 10-01-2015 11:30 AM

Well I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO I would much rather hear... awesome, like, fabulous, so, really, or any of the other words listed, over so many foul mouthed men AND WOMEN, young and old, we seem to encounter on a daily basis, who can't get through a sentence without using the "F" word to describe just about EVERYTHING!!!!! So, like, needless to say, I just think it's really, totally awesome when a sentence can be completed without the use of foul language. Seriously!!!! :)

bearisgray 10-01-2015 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by oh munner (Post 7333121)
Well I don't know about anyone else, but IMHO I would much rather hear... awesome, like, fabulous, so, really, or any of the other words listed, over so many foul mouthed men AND WOMEN, young and old, we seem to encounter on a daily basis, who can't get through a sentence without using the "F" word to describe just about EVERYTHING!!!!! So, like, needless to say, I just think it's really, totally awesome when a sentence can be completed without the use of foul language. Seriously!!!! :)

I do agree with that - - -

:)

On a literal basis - thoughtlessly using any names of any God or damning something bothers me a lot more than hearing the vulgar four-letter words. Most of them are temporary conditions or messy - depending on the situation. :hunf:

I don't enjoy hearing the vulgarities, either - although sometimes one of them DOES describe the situation concisely!