Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   pancreatitis in dogs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pancreatitis-dogs-t156427.html)

Teacup 09-29-2011 12:10 AM

It's a tough thing to get your dog through. Follow the vet's diet recommendations for this critical time then switch to commercial food that is recommended when you are done with this. Be sure to stop feeding any table treats or scraps. Diabetes can develop after this as well.

redvette54 09-29-2011 03:22 AM

Try and find a holistic vet in your area. They seem to do wonders with diet changes. Everyone should get their pets off corn based food, as its just a filler.

wandatn 09-30-2011 06:01 PM

My schnauzer gets pancreatitis. I give my dog boiled chicken,rice and peas and carrots.During the day he gets the science diet food from the vet. In July he had surgery-he had 13 bladder stones-he was in the hospital 10 days. Clinton is doing better-gets his urine checked every month. But as long as the animal has something on his stomach he does good.Good luck. We love out pets.

wandatn 09-30-2011 06:01 PM

My schnauzer gets pancreatitis. I give my dog boiled chicken,rice and peas and carrots.During the day he gets the science diet food from the vet. In July he had surgery-he had 13 bladder stones-he was in the hospital 10 days. Clinton is doing better-gets his urine checked every month. But as long as the animal has something on his stomach he does good.Good luck. We love our pets.

scrappy2 09-30-2011 06:19 PM

We went thru this with are little Toby & the vet had me cook rice for Toby to eat. He was so weak that I had to put the rice in his mouth and help him chew. After a few days and he inproved we added some can chicken with the rice. The vet said if her got it again be probably wouldn't make it. We kept him on a no fat diet. Toby lived to be 16 yrs old.

Mitch's mom 09-30-2011 07:32 PM

Cook a cup of rice in 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth and 1 cup of plain water. The broth will add flavor. Give a teaspoon of plain, unsweetened yogurt (with live cultures)along with it. Don't feed her a lot at one time. It is better for her belly to get several small meals for the first couple days. After she is finished with the plain rice and yogurt diet, make another batch of rice but add a cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast to her diet. Shred it finely and give her the rice, yogurt and a tablespoon of chicken shreds. Continue to feed her small meals until she is off her medications. Always feed and medicate at the same time. The medications can hurt her belly. They won't do any good if she throws them up.

If you have trouble getting her to take her meds, buy a package of Oscar Mayer Braunschweiger (liverwurst) and put her pills in a (small, just enough to conceal her pills) bite of the Wurst. Have another small piece held in your other hand. She will be so focused on getting the second treat, the one with the pills will go right down the hatch! I have only known of 1 dog to refuse liverwurst. It stinks- Dogs love stink!

If you can get by without feeding her the Science Diet food it will be a good thing. There is an over abundance of corn and other unsavory fillers in Science Diet. I don't feed any corn or wheat to my dogs. I'm feeding dogs - not cows. It doesn't cost any more to feed good quality food and have no vet bills and a happy, vibrant companion, than it does to feed cheap, grocery store food and have huge vet bills and a constantly sick puppy.

If you would like some recommendations on quality foods feel free to PM me. I hope your baby feels better soon.