Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   This past Saturday.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/past-saturday-t171212.html)

Airwick156 12-06-2011 06:33 PM

This past Saturday....

This past saturday, my husband and I took our neighbor gal and her 2 kids, Hayden 5 and Lillee 2 to the Annual Christmas Dinner. We had a lovely time just so everyone knows. It was a potluck and it was wonderful, there weren't many people there, I would say maybe 40-50 at the most. And Hayden and Lillee were the only 2 kids there. The oldest people there were one of the ladies that goes sewing on Tuesdays where I go and her hubbys Cousins were both 94 years old, still walks and very alert and very sweet couple. And there was going to be a Santa Claus. Sort of disappointing that there was only the two kids. The kids were very well behaved, and I must pat my neighbor Rashelle on the back for doing such a good job raising her kids alone.
Anyways, one of the other ladies I go and sew with that is a member here Nicky (HI NICKY)...her darling hubby has white hair and a white beard and mustache. Anyways Hayden comes over to me and says....thats Santa Claus's helper LOLOL Was so funny. Because earlier he had asked me where Santa was and I told him he was probably eating his dinner before he came. So Hayden tells me that Nicky's husband was Santas helper. So I think that he knows the Santa Secret but I am not quite sure.
So, the lady that is in charge of the dinner and singing and such has been doing it for I think she said maybe 25 years. But every year she reads the book The night before Christmas...next to the Christmas tree. The two kids went and sat on the floor in front of her and really was paying alot of attention. :) And Rashelle also was sitting down on the floor with the kids and another lady was there too. So Lillee comes over and Grabs my husband Charles (swampfox) by the hand....walks him up to where they were sitting and had him sit there and listen to the story too. Was just as precious as could be. Lillee loves Charles so very much. She "hung" out with him for a good part of the evening. So anyways Santa comes out and Hayden went and sat on his lap and told him what he wanted. When it was Lillees turn to sit on Santas lap....there was NO WAY she was going to do that.
So on the way home Hayden says to me.....Why didn't Santa eat his cookies and drink his milk? I was surprised that he actually had noticed...So I told Hayden that he didnt eat them yet because he had a full belly because he had just finished eating dinner. And he says Okay. :)

I know this is long, but I just wanted to share with you the most enjoyable evening I have had in a very long time. Merry Christmas to everyone. Please keep safe.

MissSandra 12-06-2011 06:38 PM

what a wonderful evening!!!

amyjo 12-06-2011 08:47 PM

sounds like you had a wonderful time. we don't have any of that around here anymore. everybody is so into their own thing that they kind of forget those who will be alone and no one to help with the kids or any of the old ladies and gents too. Mostly old ladies in our communities around here. the men all die off first.

Joset 12-07-2011 05:19 AM

that is what christmas is all about. i think many people for get that.

sandybuttons 12-07-2011 07:24 AM

AHHHHH Christmas is so much better with children, to me this is what christmas is all about :)

amandasgramma 12-07-2011 08:19 AM

How precious!!!! And not only do you have a great memory, but those children will remember that all their life!!!! Thanks for sharing.

coloradosky 12-07-2011 10:56 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. Loved it.

Caswews 12-08-2011 06:59 AM

sounds like you had a most wonderful evening !! thanks for sharing !!

luvTooQuilt 12-08-2011 07:03 AM

I miss those wonderful moments.. No Christmas celebrations for the locals around here... You made that lil ones night !!!

IBQLTN 12-08-2011 11:47 AM

Thanks for sharing!