Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pattern Directions - What do you look for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pattern-directions-what-do-you-look-t306194.html)

bearisgray 08-08-2019 07:03 AM

Pattern Directions - What do you look for?

Some patterns are easier for me to follow than others.

What is important to you?

For me:

Finished size is given
Adequate fabric requirements
Cutting directions are accurate
Good illustrations

If a particular ruler, notion, interfacing, etc., is necessary to make the item, that is noted - in easy to see fashion - preferably on the "front" of the pattern

Examples: "Featuring the XYZ criss-cross ruler "
"Need to use ABC lining for bag"

Then - I would like the shop that is selling that pattern to have those things available.

Another example:

A bag pattern used magnetic snaps. Magnetic snaps not available where the pattern was sold. Skipped buying the pattern because I did not want the hassle of trying to find magnetic snaps.

It's challenging to write good instructions. I applaud those that do.

Watson 08-08-2019 08:23 AM

When I buy a pattern it has to have a picture of an actual quilt on the pattern, not a graphic of the quilt. I once bought a pattern that just had a graphic and I swear no one had ever actually made that pattern in real life.

I also would like it if they made a note in large print if you need a special ruler, because that is often a deal-breaker for me.

Watson

Barb2018 08-08-2019 11:45 AM

I like to see the individual block sizes.

osewme 08-08-2019 11:50 AM

I look for all the above mentioned details. Plus, I like to know if it's a pattern for a beginner, intermediate, advanced quilter. It sort of tell me what I'm getting myself in to by knowing before I make it.

rusty quilter 08-08-2019 12:02 PM

I want to know what level "beginner, intermediate, or advanced" quilter...and I am a visual learner...don't want a graphic...I want a picture!

toverly 08-08-2019 03:21 PM

For me the main thing is can I adjust the size by adding or subtracting blocks or borders. I dislike square quilts for this reason. I like to make 54-60 x 72-76. So I am flexible, but some patterns aren't.

sandy l 08-09-2019 03:11 AM

Skill level, clear instructions (hopefully not pages of them), can it be made bigger or smaller, and a color picture.

kittiebug 08-09-2019 03:29 AM

I like a pattern you can understand , and I don't like it when you have to cut 2 3/8'' or 5/8 .
drives me crazy :shock:

carolynjo 08-09-2019 05:07 AM

I think not everyone can write pattern directions. I would have to get several folks to read, evaluate, and produce said pattern before I would offer it to anyone.

janjanq 08-09-2019 01:42 PM

I like it when a pattern tells you which way to press the seam allowances