Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Paws in Prison (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paws-prison-t241005.html)

Champagnolle 02-13-2014 08:22 AM

Paws in Prison

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of weeks ago there was a posting about a quilting program in prison. I don't know if Arkansas has such a program, but we do have Paws in Prison. They have a good Facebook page, Arkansas Paws in Prison. You animal lovers would probably enjoy their postings. Here is some information that was recently published:

Shea Hutchens-Wilson started a unique program called “Arkansas Paws in Prison,” which was a partnership with animal shelters and advocate groups in the state. Selected inmates, under the guidance of professional dog trainers, work with rescue dogs and teach them basic obedience skills.

“Each year in Arkansas, hundreds of homeless dogs are euthanized. Paws in Prison reduces the number by providing loving, obedient, adoptable pets,” Hutchens-Wilson said. “Paws in Prison gives inmates the skills necessary to support successful rehabilitation and reentry – and ultimately improves public safety. At the same time, it is an opportunity for the inmates to repay Arkansas communities and some of the debts caused by their crimes.”

Since she launched the program in December of 2011, she said the ADC has seen a positive impact on relations between inmates and staff, which ultimately improves security.

“We’ve begun training service dogs, too,” she said. “Some of these stories are truly inspirational. People in wheelchairs and autistic children have seen their lives greatly improved by the adoption of our dogs. Seeing this process and watching how it impacts the ones adopting dogs and the inmate trainers is incredible. These animals were literally on doggy death row until they came to us. This is about redemption and second chances for the dogs and the inmates.”

mighty 02-13-2014 09:00 AM

That is really cool!

bjrusty 02-13-2014 01:23 PM

Sounds like a win win program all around. Keep up the good work. Barb

Jingle 02-13-2014 01:40 PM

I have heard of this before. Also dogs visiting nursing homes.

quilter1 02-13-2014 01:40 PM

What a great program. Thanks for telling us about it.

M.Elizabeth 02-13-2014 01:41 PM

There is a similar program at the local prison here. I don't know much about it except what I've read in the newspaper. Sounds like it benefits the dog, the inmates, and those who adopt.

MaryMo 02-13-2014 03:08 PM

It may be a great program but one state suspended the program when one of the volunteers helped an inmate escape and then hid him. Both are now serving sentences although the one-time volunteer may now have been released.

teacherbailey 02-15-2014 05:15 AM

I think these programs are great! Thanks for sharing about yours!

Rosella 02-15-2014 05:41 AM

My grandson and his girlfriend adopted a prison dog in Arkansas. The dog is very well behaved and has become a treasured member of their family.

cherrio 02-15-2014 06:04 AM

such a worthy cause. so many animals at deaths' door could be so much to the right person if given that chance.