Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pay it Forward disappointment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pay-forward-disappointment-t141965.html)

Linda71 08-01-2011 06:42 PM

I bought a box of books at a sale and in the box was a family bible with an inscription. I searched the Ancestory site and found a member of the family looking for info on her relatives. I emailed her and offered to send her the book. She sent me her address and off the book went. She emailed me and said thanks. She did not offer to pay the $10.00 it cost for postage, not that I would have accepted anything if she would have offered. I was doing a PIF because I wanted to.

Several months ago I was going to make a pattern from a magazine and I discovered that some of the pages were missing. A wonderful lady had two copies of the magazine and sent me one. I offered to pay her and she said Pay it Forward. I have done it before and I will do it again, but I do wish that the book lady would not have broken the chain of PIF.

gzuslivz 08-01-2011 06:43 PM

Some people just don't get it:-(

DebraK 08-01-2011 06:44 PM

Maybe she paid it forward to someone else. It's not called pay you back ;-)

sharon b 08-01-2011 06:44 PM

Maybe someday she will without even realizing it :wink: She will think of the kindness shown her and think "now its my turn to help someone else" :wink:

mommamac 08-01-2011 06:45 PM

Perhaps she did or will PIF in a different way. Some people like to remain anon. when PIFing.

Painiacs 08-01-2011 06:47 PM

Someday she will. Take comfort in what you did!! I've had bad ones but won't let it spoil the future PIFs!!!

bearisgray 08-01-2011 06:51 PM

If you want/need/expect postage to be paid, it's better to ask for it up front.

I can relate to how you feel, though.

At least the person remembered to thank you!

Now I am a bit puzzled - if you didn't want postage/shipping - and would have refused it if offered - why are you annoyed/disappointed that the person didn't offer to reimburse you for it?

momcpo 08-01-2011 06:51 PM

Good for you, don't worry about other people. Some just don't get it.

JulieR 08-01-2011 06:58 PM

Maybe she did? You would have no way of knowing that.

And most people don't send packages around like we all do. She might not have realized how much it would cost.

jaciqltznok 08-01-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Linda71
I bought a box of books at a sale and in the box was a family bible with an inscription. I searched the Ancestory site and found a member of the family looking for info on her relatives. I emailed her and offered to send her the book. She sent me her address and off the book went. She emailed me and said thanks. She did not offer to pay the $10.00 it cost for postage, not that I would have accepted anything if she would have offered. I was doing a PIF because I wanted to.

Several months ago I was going to make a pattern from a magazine and I discovered that some of the pages were missing. A wonderful lady had two copies of the magazine and sent me one. I offered to pay her and she said Pay it Forward. I have done it before and I will do it again, but I do wish that the book lady would not have broken the chain of PIF.

maybe she did not break the chain, but instead offered her new found family info to others in HER chain! When you send it out to the Universe, you don't know who's universe it will end up in nor what Universe it will travel to next!