Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Paying More -- Getting Less (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paying-more-getting-less-t41331.html)

Boston1954 03-31-2010 01:07 PM

I know that Burger King's Whopper is not the same size it was when I was a teenager. Reese's Peanutbutter Cups are barely the size of a half dollar, there is less tuna fish in that can, and that is NOT a half gallon of ice cream in my freezer. Do they really think that we don't notice??? Does this get you ticked off too?

Marjpf 03-31-2010 01:10 PM

Toilet paper rolls are shorter (side to side).

kwhite 03-31-2010 01:13 PM

We are in a "melt down" program in my community. A few weeks ago there was a nutritionist speaking. She showed us a slide show of the portions we ate in the 50's and today. All of the portions are twice to three times bigger today. Seems the companies are going backward in time to more healthy portions. That doesn't bother me but the fact that they are charging the same or more for those smaller portions does gripe my a$$.

no1jan 03-31-2010 01:24 PM

Yes, I complain about it all the time. What really gets me is when the store advertises a specified weight and they no longer carry it because the size is now smaller.

I also complain about how items that are on "sale" in the ad at a large grocery store chain are near expiration. I am not talking about dairy or breads, but canned goods and condiments. Most people don't bother to check the expiration date on these when they buy them. I am always asking my husband if he checked. Many times they expire within a couple of weeks.

Plus all the recalls! I get e-mails from the U S Food and Drug Administration about recalls since I gave my granddaughter food poisoning from Skippy Peanut Butter. You can't tell me they go in and pull all of the recalls off the shelves daily.

See, now you got me on a roll!!!

Darlene 03-31-2010 01:26 PM

Potato chips are now in a 11 oz bag when they used to be 16 oz. They are also a lot more expensive.

sewjoyce 03-31-2010 01:29 PM

Yep, smaller containers gripe me too! And some fabric is also not quite as wide it used to be... :cry:

Granna of 5 03-31-2010 01:58 PM

I was really mad when coffee went to 13oz and the price just keeps going up

raptureready 03-31-2010 02:00 PM

Seems the only thing getting bigger today is my hiney. Smiles are still a cheap gift but worth more than gold. :-D :-D :-D

Lisanne 03-31-2010 02:05 PM

Yes and no. Since I live alone, I'd rather have smaller sizes than bigger prices on some things. restaurant portions and M&Ms, for instance. On the other hand, a pint is a pint. 14 oz. instead of a pint really annoys me.

I was noticing that the Beefsteak rye bread is much smaller than it used to be. I mean, those slices are now dinky! And once Thomas's bought out Sahara pite bread, boy did the downsize it. So now what are you to do if you actually want to stuff a piece for a pocket sandwich? Wegman's (East Coast supermarket chain) has downsized their brand of pita bread, too.

Peanut butter jars have been getting smaller for years. I griped not long ago about the minuscule boxes of cereal they're selling now. Only a week's worth of cereal!

Lisanne 03-31-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Smiles are still a cheap gift but worth more than gold. :-D :-D :-D

Not accepted as rent money, though. :|