Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   PAYPAL and Debit Card Fraud (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/paypal-debit-card-fraud-t213816.html)

Lady Diana 02-15-2013 09:43 AM

This is the reason why I REFUSE TO GIVE PAYPAL MY BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER. After you charge an accumulated total of $5,000, PayPal will no longer allow you to use your account tied to a credit card. You HAVE TO give them a bank account number. You can still use your credit card to charge, but they have to have your bank account number.
I had to stop using Paypal since I had purchased several sewing machines on my account. They sent me an email asking why I was no longer using PayPal, I told them about their policy and the guy said, yes, that is correct. I said, Then you will never have me as a user. He said that they do that for their protection on large purchases, so they can debit your bank account if the credit card fails. I told him again, if you do not change your policy I will never use them. He said I could "load" my Paypal account with cash and use it that way. I told him he wa crazy, why would I give them cash to use while I wasn't drawing down on it with purchases. He couldn't answer.
Diana in TX

Morag 02-15-2013 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR (Post 5862632)
I always use a card with very low balance just for online shopping, they won't get far with mine

LOL nor with mine...Most of the time I have less than a good dinner would cost :):)

dreamer2009 02-15-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 5862745)
I had a similar experience a while ago with Paypal. Not sure how it happened, but someone in another state charged a bunch of computer equipment and had it sent to their address just tacking my last name onto it! Also about $1500. The only way I discovered it was that a vendor that I make regular purchases from told me that she charged me something by mistake. So I went to look through the account and was shocked to see these charges. Paypal was dragging their feet until I pressed them to tell me who made the charge, for what and where it was shipped. I then called the local police department to file charges. When I got back to Paypal and told them I had filed a police report, they released the funds immediately. Sad to say, once I told that to the police, they didn't press charges against the person.

let's see if I can make this clear to everyone.
the site I happened to be buying from were
ACCUQUILT and Fabric Depot
I am very sure there sites are super protected !!
stuff happens...it's life !!

Rann 02-15-2013 12:57 PM

I had much rather go from one to the other. I was asked the other day which I preferred and said I always wanted to have to log in and out of Paypal. Sorry, but I don't remember what I was paying for at the time.

quiltmau 02-15-2013 01:17 PM

another thing going on with PayPal is false notices of transactions. My DH travels and I check out our cc's on line almost every day. I have been notified of activities on accounts that are false. They have a line source in the message to log in-NEVER DO THIS!!!! Open a new page or browser and TYPE in the url YOU know for the proper site. They nasties are getting more clever and we need to be on our toes. I have reduced my cards to 2 and pay at the end of the month. I still get hacked. I run Norton and I still have problems. It is the reason I check my card daily. It seems that once there is a problem then it happens again. Thank goodness that Amazon/Visa and American Express are reasonable companies to deal with. PayPal also seems to respond well.

donna13350 02-15-2013 01:36 PM

What I did was go to my bank and open an account that has a debit card with the visa logo on it. I only use that card on the internet, and only transfer money into it when I want to make a purchase through paypal, or any other on line place. This way, even if it does get hacked, there would never be more than 2 or 3 dollars in that account, unless someone managed to hack it at the exact moment I'm making a purchase.

katier825 02-15-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pollytink (Post 5861961)
I noticed some time ago that, when I bought something on ebay and pd thru PP, it appeared there was no logout from the ebay/PP transaction. I went into PP and was still logged in. So I've started going to PP right after I do the ebay transaction and log out. I didn't know it was supposed to time out and would be afraid to give it a chance to do so. I'd think ebay would set it up so that when the transaction was finished, you'd be automatically logged out of PP.

You can manually change that setting so that they are not linked...it would be wise to do so!

sewbizgirl 02-15-2013 02:23 PM

Paypal is really good to catch fraudulent activity on your acct... and if any does get through, they will take care of it promptly. They are very safe to use.

pw6 02-15-2013 03:04 PM

My oh my, glad to know that.. will watch from now on, passed it on to family and friends

katesnanna 02-15-2013 04:00 PM

My PayPal account will time out though I've never checked out in how many minutes. I also use a credit card with a minium balance which I pay in full each month.