Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   ? on pe770 brother embroidery machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pe770-brother-embroidery-machine-t287994.html)

catsden 05-04-2017 11:31 AM

? on pe770 brother embroidery machine

I am thinking about getting an embroidery machine. Probably the Brother PE770. Don't know how much I will use it, but seems like a good price to introduce myself to that next phase. I have a Mac computer so was wondering if anyone out there has a PE770 and do you download designs from your mac.

quiltingcandy 05-04-2017 11:48 AM

It's not so much that the PE770 accepting the Mac, it is the embroidery program you use. For my Viking to talk with my Mac I was going to have to buy a program that would cost $2800.00 - so I bought a cheap HP laptop and use that for my embroidery.

Sewnoma 05-04-2017 01:03 PM

I can't answer on the Mac question, but I have the PE770. I don't use it much so it's pretty well suited for my needs. My only troubles with it so far have been user error.

The only gripe I have about it is that the LCD screen is very small and has poor resolution, so it can be REALLY hard to tell which step it's currently stitching out. You sort of have to keep track of that on your own.

The designs I have were all purchased online and downloaded directly from the internet - all of that is "neutral" as far as what type of computer you have. I don't expect you'd have any troubles doing the same with a Mac - just make sure you're buying the proper format for your machine (PES). Buying embroidery software, however, is a different story and will be computer-specific.

quilts4charity 05-04-2017 01:44 PM

You have to have a program on your computer to view your embroidery files, otherwise you won't be able to see what your designs look like. I have an Amazing Box to view mine.

cannyquilter 05-05-2017 12:25 AM

I view mine on mine iPad with Airstitch a free download.

MaggieLou 05-05-2017 04:51 AM

I use My Editor by Wings to view and edit my designs. It's a free download. Thumbnailer by Embrilliance is great to have to see the designs on file in your computer folder. I think it's about $49. I have a PE770 but have upgraded to a Brother/Innovis NQ1400. One of the biggest reasons I upgraded was the difficulty in viewing the designs on the screen. Like Sewnoma said, the resolution makes it hard to see the detail especially when you have similar designs and are trying to find the one you want.

Fizzle 05-05-2017 05:36 AM

Call your Brother dealer just to be safe. I have a Bernina with embroidery module. Ordered my brand new shiny Mac and it is not compatible!!!

Rennie 05-05-2017 05:48 AM

I agree with everything everyone has said about the screen on the Brother PE770 - but I have to say, I use mine all the time for embroideries 5X7 and 4X4, even though I have another brand of machine that does up to 6X10, because the sewout on the Brother is so good. You may want to see if there is another Brother machine near that price range that has a better screen.

IrishgalfromNJ 05-05-2017 05:20 PM

I love my Brother PE 770. Daughter bought it for us to play with 2.5 years ago and I have done simple designs, some monogrammed napkins, and holiday towels with it. Tomorrow we will be embroidering toilet paper for her father for Father's Day. Should be a fun time.

IrishgalfromNJ 05-05-2017 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou (Post 7817688)
I use My Editor by Wings to view and edit my designs. It's a free download. Thumbnailer by Embrilliance is great to have to see the designs on file in your computer folder. I think it's about $49. I have a PE770 but have upgraded to a Brother/Innovis NQ1400. One of the biggest reasons I upgraded was the difficulty in viewing the designs on the screen. Like Sewnoma said, the resolution makes it hard to see the detail especially when you have similar designs and are trying to find the one you want.

Thanks for this information. I had Sew What Pro on my machine, but the program does not work any more, I don't know if it was killed by my security software or by my Microsoft updates. I'm going to try this one since it's free.