Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Peppa Pig halloween costumes HELP PLEASE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/peppa-pig-halloween-costumes-help-please-t251365.html)

oldtisme 08-04-2014 10:05 PM

Peppa Pig halloween costumes HELP PLEASE

I have been asked to make Peppa Pig and her brother George costumes for Halloween. I'm planning on making them out of heaviest flannel I can buy so it will stay stiff as in the picture I'm hoping to attach to this. My question in what would be the best Interfacing or Fusible web to make them even stiffer to keep the shapes. These will be for my youngest grandson & granddaughter. I'd like to get them planned out & sewn the sooner the better (time to adjust any mistakes) But as I stated what would be best to make them stiff to hold the shapes of the costumes. Thank you for all your informative answers to my question....as always I know who to go to for the correct solutions to my problems. Thanks to all the Quilt Board members, Yall are the greatest in my book!
OK now to attempt the best picture of them that I have found unless you want to Google Peppa Pig.
Well that was a big fail on posting a picture, but even if you don't Google Peppa Pig just let me know what you would use to make the heavy flannel stiff to keep it's shape. Thanks a BUNCH
Jeri

Peckish 08-04-2014 10:47 PM

Okay I'm not really sure what you're trying to do and where you need the interfacing at, but I'm wondering if headliner cloth might suit your purposes. It's soft and flexible, but will stand up straight. I use it to line handbags. Joann's, Hancock's, and (I think) Michael's carries it, and I would imagine Hobby Lobby also. I'm not sure about HL because there isn't one in my area.

But check it out, see if it might suit your purposes.

p.s. Are the kids in Texas? I'm thinking flannel might be really, really warm....? Of course, headliner fabric might be warm, too....

Prism99 08-05-2014 07:19 AM

Here's a link to a photo that shows them as stuffed animals:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Large-PE...-/261298495115

tessagin 08-05-2014 07:26 AM

I totally agree with Peckish. if these kids are in Texas they could have a heatstroke on Halloween. The last couple we had down on the Gulf were in the 80s in the evening. Even headliner cloth might be too heavy. Starching the fabric might be better and have the kids wear some light weight clothing to prevent itching. Need something that will breathe and not overheat the kids.

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6832505)
Okay I'm not really sure what you're trying to do and where you need the interfacing at, but I'm wondering if headliner cloth might suit your purposes. It's soft and flexible, but will stand up straight. I use it to line handbags. Joann's, Hancock's, and (I think) Michael's carries it, and I would imagine Hobby Lobby also. I'm not sure about HL because there isn't one in my area.

But check it out, see if it might suit your purposes.

p.s. Are the kids in Texas? I'm thinking flannel might be really, really warm....? Of course, headliner fabric might be warm, too....

tessagin 08-05-2014 07:32 AM

If you decide to go with headliner fabric, every where you can create air vents (eyes mouth etc.) you should. just saw Prism99 link. BTW Prism99 thanks for the link. Good luck with this project. It all depends on location. JAF and Hancocks had best selection for headliner. They have it on sale often.

oldtisme 08-05-2014 09:06 AM

Thanks everyone, yes they are in the Austin area but with our weather you never know when a cold front might blow in but I guess it would be better to check out the headliner fabric (does it come in colors?) I'm just making a little dress for Peppa & a roundish one piece short/shirt then headbands with ears on them so no covering of the faces at all just the body. Good idea tessagin if I don't like the headliner I'll just make the costumes & soak them in starch, & going to use a pink pipecleaner for the swirly tail. Thanks for the advice as usual you ladies came through for me again. Wish me luck :)

Peckish 08-05-2014 06:47 PM

Headliner does come in colors, but they're "automotive" colors. You could cover the outside with fabric of the correct color.

pal 08-06-2014 04:05 AM

Not sure what you're trying to do, but if you're planning to make a costume of a pig, then I would start with a pair of pink sweatpants and a pink sweat shirt. Make a basic headcover of pink flannel or fleece, and buy a peppapig mask.
When the grandkids were little and I had to make costumes, I always started with sweatpants and shirts. Does that help?

oldtisme 08-06-2014 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by pal (Post 6834096)
Not sure what you're trying to do, but if you're planning to make a costume of a pig, then I would start with a pair of pink sweatpants and a pink sweat shirt. Make a basic headcover of pink flannel or fleece, and buy a peppapig mask.
When the grandkids were little and I had to make costumes, I always started with sweatpants and shirts. Does that help?

Thanks pal, but mainly what I'm doing is the clothing they wear if a cold front happens to come through on Halloween, then my daughter will have the sweats to wear under the costumes. I am making piggy ears on headbands & curly tail made from pink pipe cleaner to attach to the back of costumes.