Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Perfect Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/perfect-sewing-machine-t235327.html)

blueheavenfla 11-24-2013 12:22 PM

I agree with Miriam! Get them a nice older machine and teach them to maintain it themselves. There are so many great ones that it is hard for me to choose only one. A straight stitch is all they need to learn to sew and you can surely find an older machine for under $50. If they decide that sewing is not their thing, at least they will have something they can use to fix a ripped seam. If they love sewing, then next year, invest in whatever machine you feel is best for their future uses.

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6421363)
Singer 99 - small, cute, easy to use and maintain:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]448447[/ATTACH]

Of course there may be others easy to hug oh ahem easy to use and maintain as well a Singer 185 or a Singer 404 The Japanese 15 clones are a LOT of fun, too. These are all inexpensive most of the time - there are some real cool old Japanese sewing machines. Some of the younger generation has an appreciation for going green.

Carol34446 11-24-2013 12:24 PM

Go to Amazon.com and they have lots of machines. I got my brother Sq9000 for $140 with shipping and it is light, lots of stitches (80) and easy to use. Came from dealer in AL?

jitkaau 11-24-2013 02:42 PM

I think a few features are fine when beginning. I liked sewing and was quite frustrated with not having a zig zag when I was a child. I like the Brother machines at the moment .

Lady Diana 11-24-2013 03:20 PM

Check out Allbrands.com. They always have deals on Janome's. I would recommend a Janome. With two girls sewing on it, it will get a lot of use. Do not purchase the Project Runway from WalMart. There was a news story on the Brother machines that showed NO METAL FRAME, IN FACT NO FRAME INSIDE THE MACHINE at all.
Check out this link http://www.allbrands.com/categories/1585

The Janome machines are well made and will last longer, normally have more features and are easy to learn. The machine doesn't have to be Light weight.....the girls are not going to be moving it around a lot, are they? If they are bringing the machine to your house, I'm sure an adult would do the moving and lifting. The Janome 7330 Magnolia computerized machine if on sale for $399, free shipping and no tax if you live outside of LA at Allbrands. This machine was $479.

DOTTYMO 11-24-2013 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by nvb50 (Post 6421545)
I bought my granddaughter a Husqvarna Viking H series last year for Christmas. I also got myself one to take to classes as it is light weight. It is less then the $400.

I second this. Purchased mine so I can take it to class as it is lightweight has some good features and my expensive machines are left at home safe and sound. I'm also sure the constant moving of a machine is not good for them.

captlynhall 11-24-2013 06:48 PM

I have the Brother Project Runway and am very pleased. It is my only machine and pieces like a charm and is lightweight to carry to classes. I purchased it at my local quilt shop and after four years, have never needed service. For the price, I find that a real value.

Conartist1945 11-25-2013 01:52 AM

I have a Janome Gem and LOVE it.

Debbie C 11-25-2013 04:45 AM

With a $400 budget, there are so many machines out there in the $200 range, you can buy each of the girls their own sewing machine! Imagine those happy little girls sitting face to face across the table from each other merrily stitching along!! Try Walmart for a higher end Brother. So many to choose from! You are a SUPER GRANDMA!!

mcdor 11-25-2013 08:41 AM

Thanks for your great advice. This should be a fun X-Mas.

Mariah 11-25-2013 09:14 AM

I have the same suggestion as Miriam; a Featherweight. Our oldest DGD now 11, started sewing on my F.Weight when she was 7. It was easy for her, she enjoyed it, and she was careful with it in use. It was easier than my big machine, as she could handle her work more easily with the F.Weight. Good luck! Mariah.