Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pet Insurance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pet-insurance-t270604.html)

Tiggersmom 10-01-2015 09:38 PM

Pet Insurance

How many of you have it and for what breed of dog?

My dilemma. I have a 1 year old Yorkie (love this little guy to pieces). A few months back he ate a bug that made him so sick we ended up at the doggie ER almost at midnight. That trip cost $500. But it could have been $1500 if they had kept him over night etc etc.

I'm on a website dedicated to Yorkies and I'm suddenly realizing these little dogs are not the healthiest breed. Fragile, super into everything they shouldn't be. Etc.
They have hearts of a lion, not afraid of much, and so much fun. I wouldn't give him up for anything.

Doggie insurance is about $30 per month with $250 deductible.

Am I being paranoid or cautious??? A minor surgery can be in the thousands.
I need to think this over and sleep on it.

Tia for your help.

janedee 10-01-2015 10:55 PM

I have always insured my dogs - vet fees are so expensive - my terrier had to have a big surgery a couple of years ago for oxylate stones in her bladder - not sure what I would have done if I didn't have that insurance as it cost a few thousand.

sept97 10-02-2015 03:14 AM

I don't have it, but I know others that do and any time they went to use it (several different reasons) they were told that the insurance didn't cover it

bearisgray 10-02-2015 04:03 AM

If you can get some policies, read them over very carefully to see what they do - and do NOT cover.

Is that $250 deductible for each episode or annually?

Does it cover routine care like exams and rabies shots?

Have you asked your veterinarian's office what they think about it?

Is there a way to compare coverages from different companies?

$360 plus $250 for "total" coverage for a pet is still in the "reasonable/manageable" range if the animal has anything more than "routine" exams and vaccinations. (Says she whose son's cat had close to $5,000 in vet bills)

I remember - way back when - that the cats and dogs did not get any special care. When they got old and sick, it seemed like the animals would just go off somewhere and die a natural death.

willferg 10-02-2015 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7333651)
I remember - way back when - that the cats and dogs did not get any special care. When they got old and sick, it seemed like the animals would just go off somewhere and die a natural death.

Same here. I love my pets to pieces and don't want them to suffer, but I can't see spending thousands of dollars to extend one life when so many -- animal and human -- are suffering and going without.

I had to have my beloved dog put down earlier this year, and it was quite the learning experience. In our area, you are no longer allowed to bury your pet on your own property, so in addition to a hefty vet bill for putting her down (on top of vet bills for trying to treat her), I had to pay more to have her cremated and then more for her ashes to be spread on a designated country property -- or pay even more to have her put in an urn, which I declined. She was suffering, so letting her go naturally wasn't an option, but I do feel like the vet industry is making a whole lot of money off people these days. I don't mean any offense to any vets or people who work for them, I'm just reflecting on how things have changed...

nativetexan 10-02-2015 07:46 AM

No, a lot of people have pet insurance. So I'd say go for it. My nephew just had to slam on his brakes and his 12 yr old dog flew into the front and hit the dashboard. I've yet to hear how she is doing. I'd just sent him $300.00 to help him get new tennis shoes and some groceries, but it may go elsewhere now.

notmorecraft 10-02-2015 09:41 AM

Having had dogs for a long time, and may be different as in UK, I would not, have a pet without insurance. I help rehome German Shepherds and we advocate insurance, one of mine was seriously ill last year and the vet bills ended up over £4000 sterling, we had to pay 10% and £70 excess a lot less than full bill X

madamekelly 10-02-2015 10:48 AM

As a disabled person on a very low fixed income, vet insurance is not an option. $36 per month and a $250 deductible, would mean giving up frivolities like heat. When something happens, I just depend on my Karma to find a way to pay the vet. I should say that I have a great vet, who is wonderful about taking payments. My animals get all of their shots, check ups, flea control, chipping, and licensing, so I must do something right. I just took Eli to the vet yesterday and the bill is $308, so insurance would only pay $58, and when you subtract that from what I would have paid for a year, it just does not make any sense. The only thing covered by locally available vet insurance is vaccines and checkups, so it would only have covered a small part of the bill, but the deductible would mean I would still pay the whole bill.

mizsandy7 10-02-2015 11:03 AM

I don't have pet insurance but do have a care credit card in case of any emergencies. I recently used it to help cover a biopsy on my little Chihuahua. Glad I had it, but she had cancer, and I had maxed out the card, so that was a big expense that was out of pocket, to the tune of $400.00. She was also spayed. Just glad she's on the mend .

Roberta 10-02-2015 11:03 AM

When my Borzoi bloated and we had to take him to the emergency hospital miles away in a blizzard, they charged my credit card $1500 when we walked in the door. The entire episode was almost $5000 but they did save his left. I wish I could afford monthly premiums and feel confident everything would be covered but I doubt that's the case.

I like madamekelly, same last name but no relation :-), I hope for the best and my previous vet was glad to take payments. He's passed now but I got a Care Credit CC in case something goes wrong again. I can still make payments to them but the interest is very high.