Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pfaff 5.0 Expression question, lettering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pfaff-5-0-expression-question-lettering-t258074.html)

terlyn 12-11-2014 10:05 AM

Pfaff 5.0 Expression question, lettering

My husband got me the Pfaff 5.0 for an early Chirstmas gift last month. I am really intimidated by it and haven't even had it out of the box. I know, Im bad.
My question is on the lettering, I am making memory bears out of my dads clothes and want to write Pappy on the foot sole of the bear. It is too small to write it across the foot so I want it to be written up and down like:
P
A
P
P
Y
Will the machine let me rotate the letters like this?
Thanks, Terry

mermaid 12-11-2014 01:56 PM

NO! don't do that. I will digi it for you if you will tell me the width & height of the finished design you want. I work in .pes, but can convert to the format you use and email the file to you. And do you want all caps--Arial font as you have posted? Such a little thing and no need for you to pay someone! I've had so many folks help me out way back when I 1st started embroidering.

GEMRM 12-11-2014 03:58 PM

Mermaid - Very nice of you to offer to do this for terlyn, - can you please tell me what software you use to digitize designs?

mermaid 12-11-2014 05:19 PM

Mine is old--it is P E Design v5. I still don't know all I should and I've had it since 2003. But except for a couple of free programs, the rest are so expensive that I'm perfectly happy with what I have. And truthfully, there are a lot of fonts built in, as well as am able to add TT fonts..so text is very easy.

terlyn 12-11-2014 06:49 PM

Well it's obvious I don't know anything about it...it's the performance 5.0, not the expression. Thanks for the generous offer to digitize the name but the machine is not an embroidery machine.
Terry

Originally Posted by terlyn (Post 7004079)
My husband got me the Pfaff 5.0 for an early Chirstmas gift last month. I am really intimidated by it and haven't even had it out of the box. I know, Im bad.
My question is on the lettering, I am making memory bears out of my dads clothes and want to write Pappy on the foot sole of the bear. It is too small to write it across the foot so I want it to be written up and down like:
P
A
P
P
Y
Will the machine let me rotate the letters like this? If not I may have to find someone with an embroidery machine to do it.
Also if anyone has any words of encouragement, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks, Terry

mermaid 12-12-2014 02:57 AM

I'm sorry--I don't know your machine so I could not answer your ''rotation'' question. Am assuming alpha is built in, so can you space mark the letters and do one at a time? I have an older Pfaff, 1475, with letters, but cannot rotate.

quiltmama22 12-13-2014 08:56 AM

If the dealership is nearby get that machine out of the box and go in for lessons to get you going. Surely several hours of free instruction should come with a machine that expensive.

vschieve 12-13-2014 10:01 AM

I have the Pfaff Performance 5.0 and I have used it mainly for piecing and FMQ. I have used some of the built in designs and I know there is a lot of potential on this machine that I have not even made an attempt to try yet. Your dealer should be showing the ropes, one on one instruction on how to use this machine.