Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Photographing your Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/photographing-your-quilts-t127194.html)

Pat P 06-01-2011 03:08 PM

Right on! Beautiful quilts. Hope it stops with the showers as I want to take pics of two quilts outside, which will show them off at their best!

Sadiemae 06-01-2011 04:08 PM

I agree that some of us simply don't have anyone to hold up a quilt. I guess I could grab someone off of the street, NOT!

QKO 06-01-2011 04:43 PM

We use a little trick sometimes to photograph quilts for our website.

Buy about three of those hangars with clips on them for hanging up pants. Clip them on the top, one at each end and one in the middle.

Hang them from a doorway, a double door into a den works best for wider quilts, or if you have a big empty wall put a few nails in at the correct intervals and hang the hangers from them.

You can crop out most of the hangers when you crop the picture.

I also like seeing quilts photographed on a bed. Getting up on a stepladder a few steps and photographing down on the quilt from the end or side helps give a better perspective of the quilt.

irishrose 06-01-2011 09:42 PM

I'm satisfied photographing mine laying on the carpet, but I wish my colors were more true to life. My reds and pinks just don't come out right. I'm curious how the purple in the next one will photograph.

alleyoop1 06-02-2011 02:42 AM

Thanks for the great advice. Hope everyone reads it and remembers when they photograph their latest creation. The photos are not just for the quilt board but also for the quilter to look at after the quilt is gifted. :)

theresa.redington 06-02-2011 02:54 AM

Thanks for this awesome tip because O take a lot of pictures of my quilts on the table or bed. Holding it up is where I need to go. Thanks again for pointing this out.

star619 06-02-2011 03:44 AM

Great ideas for a subject that most of us sorely need advice on!

belmer 06-02-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
We use a little trick sometimes to photograph quilts for our website.

Buy about three of those hangars with clips on them for hanging up pants. Clip them on the top, one at each end and one in the middle.

Hang them from a doorway, a double door into a den works best for wider quilts, or if you have a big empty wall put a few nails in at the correct intervals and hang the hangers from them.

You can crop out most of the hangers when you crop the picture.

I also like seeing quilts photographed on a bed. Getting up on a stepladder a few steps and photographing down on the quilt from the end or side helps give a better perspective of the quilt.

Ditto!

Nanjun 06-02-2011 12:44 PM

Nice quilt and thanks for the info. I finished a quilt last week and took a picure of it today. I had to take it in to our sewing room as it is a charity quilt.
I was home alone and had to drape it over a chair. I dont think the picture will be good.
I havent got it into the computer yet and will send picture as soon as I can figure out to get it on here.

DebraK 06-02-2011 12:57 PM

I don't understand why your first picture is bad. I got everything I needed to know.