Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pictures of Wooden Brief Cases (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pictures-wooden-brief-cases-t152119.html)

Fixedgearhead 09-11-2011 11:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
By request, here are three pictures of some of the brief cases that I made and used over the course of the years.
The first one was made for my wife. It is made out of white oak, and is lined in Burgundy Felt.
The Second one Is my own and is made out of hickory, and lined with Green Felt.
The Third one I made for myself out of Poplar, to house my Cameras and gear, when I was involved in Photography. It had all fitted compartments for the various items and camera bodies, but that has been removed since I no longer have that sort of need and it is just empty, and lined with Green Felt. I sold a number of these during the time that I made them, 1970s-1980s and they were popular. The cases are dovetailed together and the flat sides are made out of solid wood, and not plywood. This makes for a very difficult method of construction because you have to fit it very precisely, to keep it from coming apart under large humidity changes.
John

Oak Briefcase
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254922[/ATTACH]

Hickory Briefcase
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254923[/ATTACH]

Poplar Briefcase/camera case
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254924[/ATTACH]

LoriEl 09-11-2011 11:35 AM

You are certainly a man of many creative talents! I love seeing your work, even if I am a tad jealous!

Mellina 09-11-2011 11:40 AM

You are just like my Dad. Both are so talented with wood. I have loved all your pieces.

amyjo 09-11-2011 11:53 AM

very talented.

coloradosky 09-11-2011 11:59 AM

Beautiful cases. Thanks for sharing.

serenitybygrace 09-11-2011 05:41 PM

Thank you so much for sharing. These are beautiful. You are very creative.

KLO 09-12-2011 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
You are certainly a man of many creative talents!

You have no idea how accurate this statement is. You should read some of what he has posted in another thread. Probably isn't much he cannot do or has not tried. Hey John, if you can cook, I am really going to be envious of your wife ... although my DH is certainly a talented man too. (Ah dovetails, my Dad did a lot of them too. I have a cedar chest he made for me many years ago, all dovetailed. He and my DH even pulled the cedar trunks out of a NJ swamp for the wood.)

LoriEl 09-12-2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by KLO

Originally Posted by LoriEl
You are certainly a man of many creative talents!

You have no idea how accurate this statement is. You should read some of what he has posted in another thread. Probably isn't much he cannot do or has not tried. Hey John, if you can cook, I am really going to be envious of your wife ... although my DH is certainly a talented man too. (Ah dovetails, my Dad did a lot of them too. I have a cedar chest he made for me many years ago, all dovetailed. He and my DH even pulled the cedar trunks out of a NJ swamp for the wood.)

I have seen a lot of his other posts, don't know if I've seen all of them!

twixbar 09-12-2011 02:35 PM

Beautiful as usual.