Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pigeon-forge-gatlinburg-t26307.html)

marsye 09-30-2009 12:24 PM

We are going to take a trip next week to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg for the first time. What are the most popular sights to see? We are not into amusement parks and things like that, too fat and old. :lol: My husband likes old west stuff. :wink: We mostly like scenic views. Whats the best road to take to see the Smoky Mtns? I want to see some bears and elk! OH MY!

Tink's Mom 09-30-2009 01:36 PM

The main road thru town will take you into the Smokey Mountain National Park....They have many walking tours and driving ones, too. I remember a couple that only had about a 1/2 mile trail from the parking area to a waterfall.....Have fun, but don't feed the bears :wink:

marsye 09-30-2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
The main road thru town will take you into the Smokey Mountain National Park....They have many walking tours and driving ones, too. I remember a couple that only had about a 1/2 mile trail from the parking area to a waterfall.....Have fun, but don't feed the bears :wink:

Can't I just pitch something out the window? :wink: Thanks!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-30-2009 01:45 PM

Either ride the tram or drive up to Ober Gatlinburg. It is a ski resort in the winter but there are many neat shops in the summer. The views are nice.

We really enjoyed the Comedy Barn when we were there. Very clean family friendly comedy.

421/321 takes you by many nice views. We saw bears in the national park. I don't think elk are likely. My cousin is a game warden down there and I've never heard him say much about elk.

We took a scenic train ride somewhere near there but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the town!!! Maybe my husband will remember. He is the official navigator.

Have a great time!

Boston1954 09-30-2009 01:48 PM

I have been to Gatlinburg twice. But it was a LONG time ago........

Moonpi 09-30-2009 02:29 PM

There used to be a tiny diner set back from the main drag that had the best breakfasts - haven't been there in years. Have fun!

Tink's Mom 09-30-2009 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
There used to be a tiny diner set back from the main drag that had the best breakfasts - haven't been there in years. Have fun!

Yes, been there! but can't remember where it was :roll:

marsye 10-04-2009 03:30 AM

Thanks for the info. We are leaving in the morning and I can't wait to get there!! :mrgreen:

marsye 10-06-2009 03:22 AM

We made it to Chattanooga!!! :mrgreen:

beachlady 10-06-2009 03:39 AM

Went to Gatlinburg in the late 60's - don't remember much except our brakes gave out on a mountain road. It is beautiful country.