Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Plastic Containers VS. Spaghetti Sauce (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/plastic-containers-vs-spaghetti-sauce-t276194.html)

ptquilts 02-28-2016 02:52 PM

Leave them out in the sun for a day, that will bleach out tomato stains from plastic.

paoberle 02-29-2016 05:50 AM

I don't worry about it, but I have heard that if you spray the container with cooking spray before putting in the sauce it will help.

coopah 02-29-2016 06:21 AM

Just an idea...try a paste of baking soda with water. It won't hurt anything or leave a residue. Freezing/storing the sauce in glass jars is probably the best idea for the future.

callen 02-29-2016 06:40 AM

When my utensils & plastic get stained from tomato sauce, I use Fantastic With Bleach. I let it soak for a while (sometimes I have to do it more than once) wash it & rinse it well & most of the time, the stains come out. Worth a try. I buy my Fantastic with Bleach at WalMart. Probably bleach diluted with a bit of hot water may do the same thing. I don't buy a lot of bleach so often times I don't have any.

tessagin 02-29-2016 06:50 AM

the chemicals in the non-stick sprays break down the plastic. I use Ziploc bags also. If you want to keep it from sticking just rub a little olive oil around the container. But if you're going to put different sauces in a plastic container just let it set out for a short time so it will loosen from the sides. I quit along time ago putting plastic/Tupperware/Rubbermaid containers in the microwave. Even if they are microwave safe. I just put them into a glass (Pyrex) to microwave.

Originally Posted by ejmhome2 (Post 7479437)
I think I read to spray your container with Pam type sprays before putting your tomato products in to prevent the red from staining. Worth a try since most of us use non stick sprays.

tessagin 02-29-2016 06:52 AM

I would put a little oil in the bag and spread it around. I've gotten to where I hate using the cooking sprays too often because of the propellents.

Originally Posted by paoberle (Post 7480024)
I don't worry about it, but I have heard that if you spray the container with cooking spray before putting in the sauce it will help.

DonnaC 02-29-2016 06:55 AM

Like Barb, my mom used to put the plastic containers on our windowsills in the sun to bleach out the sauce stains.

I've actually switched over to only using glass containers for leftovers. I find that the plastic containers take on a weird odor after a while, which I can't stand. :)

ptquilts 02-29-2016 07:18 PM

I would be nervous about using a bleach cleaner in plastic. Who knows what it might absorb. I like the idea about lining them with plastic bags.

slbram17 03-01-2016 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7479306)
I want to say up front that I have the special containers that can resist the tomato acid, but there are only three and they sometimes are otherwise engaged.

Once the sauce has done its evil deed, is that it? Is there anything that will get it out, or has it burned its way into the plastic?

I can't stand the way a plastic container looks after something tomato based has stained it. I have tried bleach, etc but seems to be permanent. So I am slowly moving away from plastic to glass. I use Pyrex or Anchor Hocking containers, and use a piece of plastic wrap over the lip if I am putting something red in it.

Another reason is I used a container once to hold powder laundry detergent. No matter how many times I washed it, it always contaminated whatever I put in it with the taste and smell of laundry detergent.

jbj137 03-01-2016 02:02 PM

*** Chasing Hawk that is a Super Smart idea.