Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Please Be careful! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/please-careful-t242278.html)

diamondee 03-01-2014 10:05 AM

Please Be careful!

:thumbdown: I just registered for a magazine subscription "love of quilting" last night. This morning we started to get calls from MRSI 513-562-1300 which is a tele-marketing Co. based out of Ohio. So someone is getting/selling personal info. They claim they are exempt from the do not call list because they are not selling anything, but then will sell your phone number to others. I do not use my number most times but if I remember correctly, you HAD to leave a number when subscribing.

tessagin 03-01-2014 10:13 AM

I keep getting a number calling me and if you google it others have gotten complaints. I don't put my number on a subscription. I tell them to email me for any inquiries. When I go to pay for something cash and they ask me for a phone number, I give them 888-888-8888. You can also put that into a script.

nativetexan 03-01-2014 10:26 AM

we get calls every day. report them all but doesn't stop them all. sometimes ID shows stupid words, like "Important" as if that will make someone answer. of course my hubby always does. they call late at night and wake him up too.

CherryPie 03-01-2014 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the info. I don't like giving my phone number either so I'll try your trick Tessgin.

Kitsie 03-01-2014 11:40 AM

I get calls on my sell phone from "Withheld"! Do they REALLY think I'll answer?? One thing I've learned to do is let it go to "recent calls", then save the number under "don't answer" or "No", etc. Then when it comes on my screen I just reject it.

Onebyone 03-01-2014 12:33 PM

I just give a fake number with my local area code so it will match my address. Why put any real personal info on any non legal forms just because it says it has to be given. Everyone needs to get over using real info online. Every subscription I have doesn't have my real name on it, just my address. I have a mail order name I use. LOL.

Piper 03-01-2014 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6603490)
I just give a fake number with my local area code so it will match my address.

You know, I used to do this too, but one day it occurred to me that while I was making up a number, it was no doubt someone's real phone number. So I stopped doing that and would just put in my own. I guess I got lucky since nothing bad has come of it, but I like the idea of all 8's. I've tried all 0's and sites won't take that. Hopefully the 8's will work. :)

ptquilts 03-01-2014 03:13 PM

you can always get a Google Voice number, and make it go directly to voice mail. Never have to hear the phone ring, the messages come through your email. Totally anonymous. I use it for Craigslist.

Doggramma 03-01-2014 04:44 PM

We leave our phone on mute. People can leave a message. Those kind usually don't though.

Tiggersmom 03-01-2014 04:58 PM

Bless those who invented "caller ID"...........we don't answer unless we recognize the number.