Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Please, no texting at any time while driving (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/please-no-texting-any-time-while-driving-t258657.html)

cathyvv 12-23-2014 07:53 PM

Please, no texting at any time while driving

Yesterday I visited many stores in search of a gift for one of my grandsons. While walking back to my car after a fruitless search in one store, a car started backing out of a parking space. The driver didn't even look in my direction as he backed out, just kept backing out.

Lucky me, I saw the driver backing out and was able to avoid his car. When he reached the point where he could turn his car to drive out of the parking lot, I saw why he wasn't checking to make sure that he wouldn't hit someone (ME!) or another car wouldn't hit him or vice versa.

The idiot was texting and oblivious to his surroundings.

Boston1954 12-23-2014 08:46 PM

My goodness! I'm glad you're okay. I once saw two cars backing out of opposing spots and straight into each other. No damage. They were going very slowly. You are right about people not paying attention. I've seen it so many times in my life.

Tartan 12-23-2014 09:19 PM

I have seen so many people either talking on their cell phones or texting that it is scary. You have to be constantly be on guard anymore.

sandy l 12-24-2014 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 7019577)
Yesterday I visited many stores in search of a gift for one of my grandsons. While walking back to my car after a fruitless search in one store, a car started backing out of a parking space. The driver didn't even look in my direction as he backed out, just kept backing out.

Lucky me, I saw the driver backing out and was able to avoid his car. When he reached the point where he could turn his car to drive out of the parking lot, I saw why he wasn't checking to make sure that he wouldn't hit someone (ME!) or another car wouldn't hit him or vice versa.

The idiot was texting and oblivious to his surroundings.

Which is why that even after the traffic light as changed to green for me, I hesitate and look both ways before pulling out into the intersection.

Homespun 12-24-2014 06:28 AM

Glad you weren't hit!

Chasing Hawk 12-24-2014 10:12 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I really detest anyone who texts, talks on their phone while driving.

I was rear ended by a lady who was talking on her phone instead of paying attention to the big red truck stopped in front of her at a red light.

I have the 3"scar on my neck and the metal cage that now is a permanent part of my cervical spine, to remind me everyday about why that is so wrong to do. The pain I feel daily in my neck and shoulders, the numbness I experience some days in my left arm. (And I am a lefty!)

There are enough distraction one has while driving. Pay attention to what your doing, the vehicle you drive can easily become a lethal weapon at the blink of an eye.

***jumps off the soapbox*****

maryb119 12-24-2014 10:45 AM

Honk if you love Jesus.....text and drive if you want to meet him.

We had that saying on the wall at work when I sold cell phones. It makes you stop and think.

Sandra in Minnesota 12-24-2014 12:35 PM

Every place that I went yesterday, I saw crazy drivers. Must have been a full moon or something! When I got home, I decided to stay here until the day after Christmas. Merry Christmas to everyone!

GEMRM 12-24-2014 01:17 PM

maybe you should have hit the side or back of his vehicle with your fist (if safe to do so) and let him know he was that close he could have hit you if you hadn't been watching.

EvelynB 12-24-2014 01:26 PM

It's also terrifying that there's so many idiots walking in parking lots checking their phones oblivious to the dangers. The areas around high schools and colleges are really having a lot of pedestrians hurt. We had one fall into an open manhole. Long, hard fall. Another almost died wlking in front of a huge bus. Claimed he didn't see it!