Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Postage information - Interesting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/postage-information-interesting-t146245.html)

Treasureit 08-19-2011 06:53 AM

I just prepared a package that weighed 6 pounds 7 oz. I was so surprised to see that it could ship for $11.88 parcel post with USPS!

That is only $1 more than the medium flat rate box and less than the large box...that costs around $15 I think. (my things would not have fit in either of those)

My point is that we are being influenced to use these flat rate boxes and chances are we can do better. I sell fabric on here sometimes and I am always trying to get as much as I can in a flat rate box or envelope, but now I will be checking out parcel post again! Yes, it will take a little longer, but everything goes by air now, so it can't be that much different!

GGquilts 08-19-2011 07:09 AM

thanks for info, I get so tired of getting riped off. GG

mim 08-19-2011 07:10 AM

when I ship something I ask the postmistress what the cost would be for each way. Sometimes first class is cheapest. I just sent a WH out and we weighed the fabrics to see which ouuld be best -- Flat rate was 1$$ cheaper than a tyvek.

And when we shipped a large suitcase -- about 75 pounds-- the post office was 25$$ cheaper than UPS

ChrisB 08-19-2011 07:10 AM

Thanks for the information. I usually check out parcel post but it is good to know from another source.

Jamiestitcher62 08-19-2011 07:35 AM

I got a funny response when mailing regular letters for work. They are now putting the regular letters through a little slot and it if is more than 1/4" thick they charge you the large envelope flat rate of $.88 instead of $.44.

It used to be that as long as you could stuff it in the regular #10 envelope you got charged the envelope rate not the flat rate.

They said it was because they're broke and need to start checking the size of the mail going out not just the weight.

vivoaks 08-19-2011 07:39 AM

And according to the P.O., you can no longer use the flat rate envelopes for anything bulky! I still receive packages of fabric sometimes, mailed in the flat rate envelopes, but around here the P.O. won't let you use them.

ptquilts 08-19-2011 07:40 AM

They have been doing that for awhile. Three different classes of First Class Mail - letters, large envelopes, and parcels.

A lot of people don't know that and stick any old thing in an envelope with $.44 stamp and expect it to go.
I got a check from a QB member one time and she put a little bean bag in the envelope as a "gift" to me. Ended up costing me postage due and I didn't even want it.

Here is a link to the most commonly needed postage prices. Worth your while to print it out and keep it handy if you do a lot of mailing.

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/.../notice123.pdf

jrhboxers 08-19-2011 08:29 AM

Also check out the Priority Boxes that are NOT flat rate. I was returning some merchandise to Holy Clothing. The medium flat rate was too small, and the large flat rate was too big. I had a weigh-based Priority Box that was the best size. I weighed it and the actual postage cost was LESS than the medium flat rate box. By $2.

And they also have regional rate boxes coming too. Or at least that is what the lady at the counter told me. I know that when I want to ship things back to Indiana, FedEx Ground is usually the cheapest.

On a side note - I HATE parcel post. It takes FOREVER regardless of the proximity of the addresses. I have had a parcel post box takes 17 working days from Newark NJ to Gatesville NC. And the post office could give me no reason for the long shipping time. The website said that the shipment would take 7-10 working days - uh right. If I purchase anything on-line (eBay or otherwise) I always ask if I can upgrade the shipping.

CloverPatch 08-19-2011 08:33 AM

One of our postmen will tell you if you actually saved anything by using flat rate envelopes. There have been many times he said it would be cheaper by parcel.

Zhillslady 08-19-2011 09:06 AM

I had never heard of media mail till 2 weeks ago when I sold some quilt books. I'm not sure I'm crazy about it. I am still waiting on a book for over a week and one for almost 2.