Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Potato: how many pounds do you eat? (fact finding mission) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/potato-how-many-pounds-do-you-eat-fact-finding-mission-t38829.html)

Elisabrat 03-06-2010 07:47 PM

EVERYONE WHO IS IRISH: HOW DO YOU DO IT? I watched a cooking show on TV tonight about the food of Ireland. Lovely show. Then they stated a fact. The average (key word AVERAGE) person in Ireland eats 300 lbs of potatos per year. I get there probably isnt a big call for rice or pasta but 300 lbs! I think we buy for the two to four of us (depends on the week) 50 lbs a year period. So.. are you eating 300 lbs of potatos a year and if so HOW??

SaraSewing 03-06-2010 07:51 PM

Let's see. Mashed potatoes with roast beef is my hubby's favorite Sunday dinner. I love scalloped and make them whenever we have company. I buy about 10# each month. (we're empty nesters)

I remember once when we lived in WY, but our neighbors from Idaho brought us home a 100# bag of potatoes just dug, for $2. We were poor and I couldn't turn that town. I used the majority of them before they went bad. You name it, I found a recipe to fix 'em different almost every day!

Marcia 03-06-2010 08:00 PM

Well, someone is eating a lot of my share of potatoes. I don't eat French Fries any more, my husband and I split a baking potato if we are having steak (not very often) and maybe once a month we will have mashed potatoes. I only buy loose red potatoes because if I buy a bag they rot before we eat them.

We do not eat rice or pasta often either--maybe 2 or 3 times a month. We eat lots of salads and fresh vegetables instead. You would think I would be a lot skinnier with this healthy diet!! :)

quazyquilter 03-06-2010 08:03 PM

I eat about 4 sweet potatoes a month and just love white potatoes...potato salad, baked,mashed, fried...Dang girl, it's making me hungry just thinking about it...

Chasing Hawk 03-06-2010 08:04 PM

Mashed, fried, french fries, scalloped, potato soup, potato pancakes,
boiled, baked you can run a clock off of them, potato battery, play hot potato then have dinner. I guess the uses are endless. :)

Honey 03-06-2010 08:13 PM

We use about ten pds a month. I used to fix potatos every day for supper, but now I have cut back to once maybe twice a week. After all, what good is a potato without LOTS of butter or very fattening gravy.

Lisanne 03-06-2010 09:06 PM

I'm not Irish (in this life, anyway; maybe next time around), but I can totally see eating 300 pounds of potatoes a year. Basically, that's a pound a day 6 days a week.

If a pound a day seems like a lot, go get one of those big baking potatoes at the supermarket and weigh it. It'll be about a pound, give or take a bit. So anyone who has a baked potato 6 out of every 7 days a week would do it right there.

Of course, it could be mashed, scalloped, boiled, fried, or potato salad. It could be potatoes and onions or hashed browns for breakfast. Potato chips, too. Roasted, in stews, in soups...

How many do I eat? Not as many as I used to, I've noticed. Maybe only a couple times a week nowadays. In the past week I've had one large baked potato, one serving of potato salad and most of a bag of potato chips. There are weeks on end when I have none at all. But I bet I ate 300 pounds a year of them in my younger years (and, yeah, it shows).

amma 03-06-2010 11:14 PM

I go through almost 20lbs a month and there is just me LOL I love my potatoes :D:D:D They are great on my diet...baked or mashed with gravy made out of beef/chicken broth, very low cal :wink: Or I cut them into chunks, pour a tbls of olive oil on them and sprinkle on different herbs/seasonings and bake them in the microwave in a covered casserole dish... sometimes I add scrambled egg and ham for a breakfast casserole, or veggies and meat for dinner. I have them atleast once a day :D:D:D

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-07-2010 07:36 AM

My husband will eat how ever many potatoes you will peel and mash for him at any time any day. 5 pounds just for him is not unusual. He LOVES them.

And, by the way, he is skinny. Life aint fair!

Up North 03-07-2010 07:46 AM

With just 3 of us we eat about 15 pounds a week. More in the summer we have baked potatoes a lot, mashed, scalloped, augratin, fries, fried potatoes, hash browns. In soups being country folks we do eat a lot of them.