Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Prepare for AFTER the hurricane, too... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/prepare-after-hurricane-too-t147924.html)

cathyvv 08-25-2011 06:28 PM

My DH started driving to NJ from SC about 3 hours ago. He wants to be home during the hurricane because the sump pump MUST be working throughout the storm.

After he left, I thought about what you need after the storm is over. The third thing that came to mind was CASH. Here's the reason - if where you live is without electricity, the stores will probably be closed. however, if you have electricity but the data center that processes ATM and credit cards you use does not - you won't be able to use your debit or CC.

So get some extra cash out of the bank just in case. You can always put it back if you don't need it! :)

May in Jersey 08-25-2011 06:33 PM

Good idea.

quiltjoey 08-25-2011 06:39 PM

That was very true after Hurricane Hugo in Summerville and the Charleston, SC area. Everyone, including gas stations, stores, banks, etc., were without electricity and we know everything uses electricity to operate computers...
Hope everyone will be ok up in the NE that your son will also be safe..

craftybear 08-25-2011 07:07 PM

great idea and be sure to have all of your medicines that you need

Originally Posted by cathyvv
My DH started driving to NJ from SC about 3 hours ago. He wants to be home during the hurricane because the sump pump MUST be working throughout the storm.

After he left, I thought about what you need after the storm is over. The third thing that came to mind was CASH. Here's the reason - if where you live is without electricity, the stores will probably be closed. however, if you have electricity but the data center that processes ATM and credit cards you use does not - you won't be able to use your debit or CC.

So get some extra cash out of the bank just in case. You can always put it back if you don't need it! :)

Cyn 08-25-2011 07:20 PM

We fill our freezers up with containers of water and bags of ice to keep things as cold for as long as possible. You can always drink that water. Also fill tubs with water to flush with after :)

nyelphaba 08-25-2011 07:28 PM

Have the medicines and cash. Will be clearing the patio tomorrow morning with my son, and if necessary I will tape the windows Saturday morning after I fill many pots with water and fill the bathtub. Things are starting to feel crazy.

Gramof6 08-25-2011 07:30 PM

Better be well prepared and then maybe you won't need the supplies. Please take care all of you in this path. Have plenty of gas in your vehicles also in case power goes out, in case of an emergancy.

SueDor 08-26-2011 02:28 AM

Don't forget flashlights. Stay safe everyone!

AUQuilter 08-26-2011 04:39 AM

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

aliaslaceygreen 08-26-2011 09:33 AM

Got the cash, too...and a container to hold the cats insulin...I just wouldn't want to be my across the street neighbor, who is packing a uhaul in central VA to move to NC this weekend!!!!