Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pretty Pressed Glass Bowl (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pretty-pressed-glass-bowl-t272283.html)

ManiacQuilter2 11-16-2015 05:42 AM

No, I don't collect but I got most of my grandmother's pressed glass pieces.

coopah 11-16-2015 06:01 AM

I like that pattern. We collect the Heritage pattern of Depression glass and use it for holiday dinners.

roguequilter 11-16-2015 08:40 AM

i collect old glass ..cut & pressed. pressed is often referred to as "depression glass". i love anything in leaded glass. this bowl in your pictures is beautiful. the intricacy of the design is wonderful. using my ipad to zoom in on the pics, i really don't see the seams around top edges. this, according to what details i can see in the pics, this bowl really looks more like very old cut glass, not pressed glass. it's quite beautiful, lucky you saw it before i did :D ..

look for seams in base, around edges of base & top. look closely at the designs, the edges of pressed glass designs are rounded, in cut glass they are sharp. in cut glass also, sometimes on close inspection you'll find miniscule chips as from time & use the delicate edges are sometimes damaged. the light on this also seems to indicate that this is lead glass. such a lovely piece.

tkhooper 11-16-2015 09:03 AM

I have the lidded jelly containers with the silver spoons that are just the right size for them. I love them. We meet monthy for an applique group and have a pot luck. We all bring fancy containers for our store bought stuff. It's a running joke.

janjj 11-16-2015 09:15 AM

I have recently begun collecting glass to make garden art. now all I need to do is glue them. Such fun looking in stores like Salvation army for these.

annette1952 11-16-2015 10:54 AM

It is beautiful! I don't collect but I do love it. I don't have room for them. I have a few old glass dishes that was my Grandmas but I don't know what they are called. I don't know enough about antiques.

nwm50 11-17-2015 05:04 AM

I loved collecting these vintage pieces.....till I was overloaded..🙀...then had to save just a few from grandmother and Moms..when I use them For special occasions, I guess fussed at or complimented on them. Hey..our moms used them back then so why not use now!!?! But they're beautiful and I enjoy them for remberences

Wanabee Quiltin 11-17-2015 07:21 AM

I haven't seen the strawberry design before but I collect all kinds of pressed glass. I like to collect the smaller ones that I find in thrift stores for cheap prices. I have them in my two kitchen windows and fill them with blue and clear glass marbles. They are lovely to look at. A vendor once told me to rinse them in ammonia to make them really sparkle. Once I bought a lovely bowl like yours and then added things for a wedding gift to fulfil "something old, something blue...

Jingle 11-17-2015 11:51 AM

Beautiful, I love glassware with pretty designs. I worry what will happen to them when I am gone. Daughter and 2 Granddaughters do not like that sort of stuff.