Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Printing tips - save money (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/printing-tips-save-money-t71597.html)

flikkem 10-22-2010 06:25 AM

From time to time, for my use, I print articles from this site for my "how to" binder or to save tutorials which often run many pages. I copy what I want to print (control key + "c") and then open a word processing document and paste (control key + "v"). I then adjust the size of the photos by clicking on the pictures, move my cursor to the corner of the picture until an arrow appears, click the left cursor and hold while shrinking the picture toward the center. It can reduce the total printing job by several pages - less to store and less money to replace color cartridges. Hope this isn't clear as mud.

kathy 10-22-2010 06:28 AM

never thought of it, will use it, thank you for it

litacats 10-22-2010 06:37 AM

I have a folder on my computer that is titled quilts. and anything I want to save for future reference goes into that so I don't have to print every thing out, but if i want to do something I can always look it up under quilts and refresh my memory or print it out if I need too. but the tip about reducing pictures is pricless thanks for sharing.

oksewglad 10-22-2010 06:55 AM

Another thing you can do is in print dialog box, there's a button "Preferences" to click on. The select the "Printing shortcuts" folder. Several choices are available. Under the "General Everyday" printing option you can use "Printing quality" option of "Fast Draft" (prints gray scale) or "Fast Normal" (a colored version of fast draft). I use those options all the time for both our farm business as well as pleasure (ie quilting!).

BellaBoo 10-22-2010 07:12 AM

I always select 'print selection' and it prints only what I have highlighted. This saves me all the extra steps. Also there is a free program called Cute Pdf. When you click print, select this as your printer and it will automatically save what you want to print as a pdf file. Pdf will let you resize what you want to print including pictures with one click.

IrishNY 10-22-2010 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Another thing you can do is in print dialog box, there's a button "Preferences" to click on. The select the "Printing shortcuts" folder. Several choices are available. Under the "General Everyday" printing option you can use "Printing quality" option of "Fast Draft" (prints gray scale) or "Fast Normal" (a colored version of fast draft). I use those options all the time for both our farm business as well as pleasure (ie quilting!).

I do the same. But after I print I put in draft, I also click on grayscale and change it to 'use black cartridge only'. It saves using the color cartridge for when we really need it, which isn't very often.

amma 10-22-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY

Originally Posted by oksewglad

I do the same. But after I print I put in draft, I also click on grayscale and change it to 'use black cartridge only'. It saves using the color cartridge for when we really need it, which isn't very often.

I have set my preferences to black ink only too... it really saves a LOT on having to replace 1/2 empty color cartridges :D:D:D