Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Profiles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/profiles-t208170.html)

mjsylvstr 12-11-2012 04:35 AM

Profiles

Why is it that some people don't list anything in their profile?

When I am reading through the daily threads and posts and I find an interesting response, I sometimes go to the writer's profile to find out where this person resides. It sometimes explains the reasoning for their replies.......
and their location also gives an insight on what they have to say.

I just find it enlightening from where all our members come and little things about them make such good reading also.

I find it disappointing when there is a blank space telling about these other quilters.

Just wondered if any of you others feel the same as I do.

mj

Sunnye 12-11-2012 04:55 AM

Some people don't like to be identified too much. There is so much news about ID theft and all. Criminals who really know what they are doing can track you down with the smallest bit of information.
And just FYI, I have heard of kidnapping children when their pictures have been posted online and the criminals find out where they are by the background settings! It's a weird, sick world.

alwayslearning 12-11-2012 05:07 AM

Others may be like me. when I first joined, I had no idea what to say and as time went by, I just forgot to ever go back to my profile.

Jingle 12-11-2012 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye (Post 5712514)
Some people don't like to be identified too much. There is so much news about ID theft and all. Criminals who really know what they are doing can track you down with the smallest bit of information.
And just FYI, I have heard of kidnapping children when their pictures have been posted online and the criminals find out where they are by the background settings! It's a weird, sick world.

If someone wants to track someone down, it really isn't that hard. Living in fear of everything is not my way of living.
I refuse to live in a cave and not use the resourses available to us now days.

jeank 12-11-2012 09:21 AM

Yes, I like to at least see the state or county (if not the US) That doesn't give away much, and you can use a quilt instead of your picture.

francie yuhas 12-11-2012 09:37 AM

I put info on my profile..I really doubt there's a huge problem with quilters. At least I haven't seen a CSI or crime show yet show casing us..LOL

Tartan 12-11-2012 09:41 AM

OR... they could be like me and are computer challenged. One of these days I am going to get help to at least add a quilt picture to my profile.

mjsylvstr 12-12-2012 01:19 AM

Thanks, ladies, I was just wondering if it was just me or whether others felt the same as I.

I just find it interesting to see where the other quilters are from and have begun sharing ideas and such with some of them. Have found that others travel to same places that I do.

It was just a thought and I wanted to see if there were others wondering the same. Thanks for the replies.

patricej 12-12-2012 03:56 AM

some people like their privacy.
they want to choose specifically who knows the details of their personal life - to include where they live.

we should not judge them.
we should not imply criticism if they choose to not divulge all we might want to know about them.

it's up to each member to decide.
it's up to us to respect their choice without question.