Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pug front/back carrier? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pug-front-back-carrier-t281496.html)

thimblebug6000 08-20-2016 05:40 PM

Pug front/back carrier?

I have been searching everywhere on line to find a pattern or a suggestion for a front loading pack for our grand doggie pug.... we have taken her twice with us camping and she seems to enjoy it....BUT.... with the heat these days.... I would like to find a way to pack her so that I can enjoy the hikes/walks/bike rides etc. Is there anyone who has a PUG that has a good solution for me? We can't spend too many dollars on the solution and would prefer to find something that I could make.....

TShooters 08-20-2016 07:18 PM

There's some free baby sling patterns. Don't see why they wouldn't work for a furbaby.

elnan 08-20-2016 07:32 PM

How much does she weigh? While searching for a serger case and digging through luggage at a thrift store, I came across many small animal carriers with the flexible mesh screening at one end. Seems to me you could get some wide strapping or make your own and put backpack straps on one to carry her. I would be leery of putting her in a sling, then having her tumble out.

sewbizgirl 08-20-2016 08:02 PM

I don't get the whole "dog carrying" thing... They aren't babies and their spines work differently. I can't see being carried like a human child being good for their spines, hips or organs. What's wrong with a collar and leash and just letting the dog walk as it was designed to?

Sandygirl 08-21-2016 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7632201)
I don't get the whole "dog carrying" thing... They aren't babies and their spines work differently. I can't see being carried like a human child being good for their spines, hips or organs. What's wrong with a collar and leash and just letting the dog walk as it was designed to?

Good point! And pugs hit 20 pounds. Unless owner allows them to become fat.

sandy

Misty's Mom 08-21-2016 04:35 AM

They make strollers for dogs

Geri B 08-21-2016 05:08 AM

If it's too hot for the dog to hike, it's too hot for the human.....take a beak under a shade tree and both have some water. Walking is good for the cardio of both man and beast!

bearisgray 08-21-2016 05:14 AM

Some dogs do get too elderly to walk very far. I think I would prefer something with wheels that I could push for it.

I remember when carrying my kids - they would start out at 10-15 pounds, and by the end of a couple of hours, they weighed at least 20-25 pounds!

Doggramma 08-21-2016 06:08 AM

You're a nice grandma.

Pat M. 08-21-2016 10:33 AM

Pugs have smushed-in faces and small noses to breath with, they snort and snore, ours could walk with us if it was a short walk, about 1 mile. We would then turn around and carry her back to the camper. The other dogs we had could walk all day if we wanted them to hike with us. Pugs are couch potatoes, HaHa.