Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Puppy chewed.. Oh noooo (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/puppy-chewed-oh-noooo-t285786.html)

kat13 02-04-2017 10:38 AM

Puppy chewed.. Oh noooo

My son is here helping out and my puppy (11 months) shepherd chewed the handle off of a bag that holds an expensive tool. I want to replace the handle and found the same material
(Strap) on an old dog harness. It's
A thick material, I'm not sure if I can use a universal needle.. I have a 100/16 and 90/14 any suggestions?
No Not geting rid of dog! Lol

PaperPrincess 02-04-2017 10:50 AM

I would take it to a shoe repair shop. Unless you have a very heavy duty machine, you could ruin it! (the machine, not the strap).
I you do want to attempt it, try a Jeans needle.

Tartan 02-04-2017 11:22 AM

I might attempt it on my old singer treadle and stitch using the hand wheel. Probably best to take it to someone with a leather stitching machine.

Prism99 02-04-2017 12:55 PM

I would take it to a shoe repair shop. You can throw the timing off on a domestic machine if the material is too thick and dense. Timing repairs would cost more than a shoe repair shop would charge for a small job like that.

Bueniebabe 02-04-2017 01:24 PM

LOL dogs. Our minpin a year old just chewed a hole in my thermo blanket and the corner of my flannel sheet. I have had dogs 45 years. They could burn the house down, we would never get rid of them.

Cotton Mama 02-04-2017 02:37 PM

Congratulations on your shepherd. We have two who are full grown (somehow I made it through their puppyhood, LOL). Good luck getting your handle fixed!

cashs_mom 02-04-2017 03:31 PM

My serger cord still has the splice my husband put in it to fix it after Scooter decided it looked like a chew toy. I also still have chewed spool of thread from Scoots. He was a terror when he was young. Best dog ever now.

I would also take it to a shoe repair shop. It won't cost much. A lot less than repairing your machine.

Phyllis nm 02-04-2017 08:31 PM

luggage shop or replacement on line

QuiltnLady1 02-04-2017 09:26 PM

Don't know how dense your strap is. I have sewn 4 layers of webbing with my computer machine -- 18 jeans needle, a 3 stitch, the jeans-a-ma-jig (to keep the presser foot level) and very slow speed. If it is more dense than the webbing you can use for bag handles, if you have non-computerized machine available, an 18 jeans needle and a jeans-a-ma-jig would probably get you through since the piece is not that wide. Otherwise I would go to a shoemaker.

sewbizgirl 02-04-2017 09:38 PM

My dog only chewed two things as a puppy. One, he chewed up a bamboo knitting needle of mine. The second was the cord to my Juki's foot pedal-- $300 to replace because of the thread cutter feature in the foot control. I sent it off to have just the cord part changed out, and it came back electrical taped! I could have done that... It was murder being without that machine for a couple of weeks because of it.

Puppies will be puppies! They are so worth it, tho. Now Marty is the perfect dog. We can leave him home alone in the house all day and he just naps... no accidents, no destruction. Good as gold.