Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   purse lovers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/purse-lovers-t139315.html)

thimblebug6000 07-21-2011 03:24 PM

I really enjoy pictures of the purses/totes everyone is making... my question to you is.... do you sell/gift them all? I have a few hooks that I hang "THE" bags on...but to be honest... they mostly get in my way. I use some for my shopping on my walks... some for when I go swimming..... some for gifts.....
I feel a little lonely here... thinking you all must have TONS more family & friends than I do....

I go To The Sea To Breathe 07-21-2011 03:30 PM

I don't have one, and have been too afraid to make one. Have 3 sisters i would love to make them for, but am too chicken....however, I have bought the pattern twice.LOL

pattypurple 07-21-2011 03:36 PM

I sell most of the ones I make. I really enjoy the creative outlet of making purses/bags, but nobody needs 100 bags. I have kept, probably, 20 or so that I use. I find myself more likely to buy fabric for a new bag than for quilts. Soon the craft show season will be over and I'll go back to making quilts.

thimblebug6000 07-21-2011 04:26 PM

And.... so... I was moved to a different section.... okay... I'm in general chit chat now... I thought my topic was more onto the MAIN (quilting) as per totally NON fabric related.... topic where we discuss quilting thoughts etc... ah well....... glad it was just re-directed & not totally deleted.....

Cybrarian 07-21-2011 04:46 PM

Not sure why it got moved, but have a couple of suggestions for you if financially feasible. Places where they are helping women get a new start like programs that help women prepare for job interviews with clothing etc., battered women's shelters-places like that. Maybe a group you know would put some personal toiletries in or even some gift cards like Target or Walmart for new underclothes and such. Another place is any group reaching out to Foster teens. This age group is always overlooked on Angel trees etc. at Christmas. Other groups that distribute gifts at Christmas are usually struggling to have enough gifts for teens. Just some suggestions.

quilt-n-girl 07-21-2011 04:58 PM

I have gifted some totes, and I sell some too. A friend of mine made one, and she wanted me to try it too, We used quilted fabric at first, then I saw alot of fabric I wanted to make a tote out of that wasn't all ready quilted. I tried doing it myself, and people love them. It takes me 5 hours to quilt the fabric and 5 hours to make the tote. Pauline

klc 07-21-2011 06:09 PM

I make for me and to gift. I love to make bags of all types. We use many for shopping, library, beach, vacation, purses, etc. What I make is usually grabbed up by daughters and granddaughter. I don't sell my stuff. Too much love and work goes in and not enough money would be made.

blueangel 07-21-2011 07:21 PM

I have four that I use. Love the bow tucks.

Pam B 07-21-2011 08:01 PM

I have a closet shelf and I am constantly switching out the purses I carry. I do generally give some as gifts. Next on my list is to make a purse for the wonderful friend who graciously offers me to use her lake house as frequently as we would want! In fact, several teacher friends and I were up there today for a day on/in the water and the air-conditioned lake house!!! It was a great way to spend the 99 degree day and since she always admires my bow-tucks bag, I am going to make her one.

pinecone 07-21-2011 08:07 PM

I started out making them for me but when I am shopping people have asked me about them so I have ended up selling some in fabric they pick out .

piney