Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Queen Elizabeth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/queen-elizabeth-t319092.html)

Quiltwoman44 09-08-2022 11:24 AM

Queen Elizabeth

I just read that the Queen of England just passed away. She was 96 I believe. A very determined Queen and dedicated to her Country.

Irishrose2 09-08-2022 01:09 PM

She was a class act, for sure. May she RIP.

cashs_mom 09-08-2022 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8566090)
She was a class act, for sure. May she RIP.

I couldn't agree more!

tallchick 09-08-2022 01:29 PM

A class act indeed! She seemed as someone who would live forever.

Stitchnripper 09-08-2022 01:51 PM

Even though she was queen she has a family who
loved her and will miss her

Julienm1 09-08-2022 04:07 PM

Heard there will be 10 of "celebration of her life". That's a long time to start private grieving.

Tartan 09-08-2022 04:19 PM

I was sad to hear of her passing even at 96. Prime example of the greatest generation and we will not see their like again.

SueZQ from MN 09-08-2022 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 8566117)
Heard there will be 10 of "celebration of her life". That's a long time to start private grieving.

The funeral of a queen or king of England, as well as the coronation of the new king, is based on centuries of tradition dating back to the days when travel took days or weeks between locations. Therefore they originally needed all that time to gather the people that would attend. Also, since the Commonwealth consists of many nations, each one will have it's own way of honoring her memory. The news tonight also said that it will give many more people time to view her body or pay their respects.

WMUTeach 09-08-2022 04:39 PM

I have been listening to BBC coverage and it has been so interesting and informative. All honoring the person even if they don't support the monarchy. It has been lovely to hear snippets of her many speeches over time from age 14 to just this June at her Jubilee Celebration. Of course many have mentioned her father, uncle, children, Prince Philip and her fun with Paddington Bear. I think I should raise a marmalade sandwich and a cuppa tea to her memory.

sewbizgirl 09-08-2022 07:44 PM

Yes, even tho she was 96 I was still shocked. I just assumed she would keep going and going, like the Energizer Bunny.
My daughter lived in England for 8 years, met her British husband and became a dual citizen before they moved back to America. She once was visiting at Buckingham Palace when the Queen's cars came back with the Prime Minister of Korea and his wife. My daughter and her friends got to see the Queen and yelled, "Long live the Queen! Long live the Queen."
She was pretty amazing. England won't seem the same without a reigning queen.