Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question about "Fresh Eggs"???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-about-%22fresh-eggs%22-t106710.html)

berrypatch 03-13-2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by berrypatch
After boiling them and putting the eggs in cold water (change water to keep it cold) tap them all around the egg esp. middle section, then roll them in your hands - then peel.

borntoquilt 03-13-2011 04:12 PM

I also used to raise egg chickens and sell eggs! It is just the nature of the beast for fresh eggs to be really stubborn "peelers". When I wanted deviled eggs-I bot store eggs. Of course they have NO taste but with mayo, mustard and whatever you add, no-one will know the difference. I had one customer that continued to call me when she found little dark brown spots in her hard boiled eggs. Guess WHAT! We had roosters!!!! (fertilizing the eggs~) Ask your grocer how old those store eggs are? Bet you'll be surprised! At least 6 weeks (plus) old. Also, FRESH eggs don't need to be refrigerated for at least a few weeks. go figure!

LilaT 03-14-2011 07:55 AM

I use a little electric egg cooker called an "Egg Genie." It cooks the eggs, a buzzer goes off and they're done. I love it!

Riversong 03-14-2011 11:25 AM

Put a tiny bit of oil in your water...it absorbs through the shell and makes them easier to peel

Shunem 03-14-2011 12:10 PM

Another tip about "yard eggs" (learned the hard way)---when I'm baking, I usually beat cakes or whatever I'm making about half the minutes listed on the recipe. If I beat the full amount of time my baked goods come out tough. Too much good protein in those warm-from-the-hen eggs!

Persnikety 03-14-2011 04:45 PM

Your eggs are too fresh. When I know I'm going to make deviled eggs, I buy the eggs at least a week to ten days before cooking. I also pierce the "big end" with a safety pin and when done, I crack the shells a bit and plunge in cold water. Keep the water cold. Then I peel them under water. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

nanababy 03-16-2011 07:29 PM

We sell eggs and I tried everything then I saw this on food channel don't remember who.
Boil your eggs as usual with a dash of salt in the water, turn eggs off and cover with tight lid, leave untill completely cool don't lift lid, the steam does something to the air in shell. I leave mine in boiler pot overnight and they peel like a dream next day. Perfect for deviled eggs.

Hope this helps>>>>Diane

DonnaMiller 03-08-2013 04:56 PM

Fresh Eggs

I grew up on an egg producing farm and am familiar with your peeling problem. My mother always kept the eggs for several days if she was going to make deviled eggs. Dynamite won't peel them when they are fresh. Rejoice that they aren't a month old like some of the store eggs. Save a dozen or so for several days. She told me 3 days, but I would wait nearly a week to be sure. That is a lot of work for then to come out rough. We candled all our eggs. Put a box over a lamp and look through a hole to see if there is a large air cell or colored matter. We always checked all of our eggs before selling them in our home town. People throw a fit if there is a spot of blood inside the egg. It doesn't hurt the egg. Just take it out of the egg with a spoon and move on. Some have double yolks and look a little bigger. We didn't wash the eggs unless they were soiled or muddy. They keep better with their natural state. Our chickens ran free.My dad had an egg route on Saturday morning. We sold them for 50 cents a dozen, delivered. I rode along and took them up to the houses and returned with egg cartons the customers saved for us. Can you imagine what that service would cost now, if they would even allow you to do it. Nobody ever cheated us or dodged payment either. They loved farm fresh eggs.

Originally Posted by luv-e (Post 2735863)
We are buying our eggs from a local farmer and I'm having trouble peeling them?????
I have tried the salt, putting them in cold water..
What else is there to peel them easier???????
Any ideas????? I might have to have someone else bring Deviled Eggs to the picnics this summer..lol lol