Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question about starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-about-starch-t251303.html)

Fifee 08-04-2014 03:46 AM

Question about starch

How do you stop spray starch from ruining your ironing board?

This might be considered a stupid question but please bare in mind that I've never used starch in my life before starting quilting. Since using spray starch the cover for my ironing board has become incredibly stiff and even torn in places due to the amount of starch thats accumulated on it over the past while. I realise that I will now have to buy a new one but how do I protect the new one from ending up like the current one?

Silly question I know!

CindyA 08-04-2014 04:42 AM

I use a table top ironing board for quilting so that I don't have to worry about ruining my good ironing board. My friend made an ironing pad that folds up nice and small for storage. She bought the metallic stuff, layered it, and backed it. She uses this only for quilting projects.

mawluv 08-04-2014 05:23 AM

I make a new cover when the old one gets dirty. Just use your old one as a pattern,or just trace around your board, then be sure to allow for the edge of board and casing for your string or elastic.

Onebyone 08-04-2014 05:41 AM

I put muslin or pretty cotton fabric around the board and pin in place using safety pins. I take it off and wash it when it gets grungy. If you do take the fitted cover off and wash, put it back on the board while it's wet. It will dry and fit the board tight with no wrinkles. And it's much easier to get on the board wet.

tessagin 08-04-2014 05:56 AM

I have made a couple with a drawstring from old cover used for a pattern. Super easy to wash. Mine were made from old sheets with large thread count.

Originally Posted by mawluv (Post 6831187)
I make a new cover when the old one gets dirty. Just use your old one as a pattern,or just trace around your board, then be sure to allow for the edge of board and casing for your string or elastic.

Tartan 08-04-2014 06:44 AM

I iron a square of freezer paper to my main ironing area first thing after replacing my cover. The freezer paper sticks fir quite a while and when it gets nasty, I peel it off and stick on a new square. I have also heard that taking the bottom off of a large brown paper bag makes a sleeve to slip on an ironing board if that is your ironing surface.

ckcowl 08-04-2014 06:57 AM

I have never ruined an ironing board cover using starch; been starching fabrics since the 60's....is on in board covers are washable, starch washes away. Into don't use so much starch that it saturates,soaks the board. When I notice anything on my cover I take it off & launder it. If it am using a lot of fusible stabilizer products and not using my applique pressing sheet I use a sheet of freezer paper pressed to my ironing board cover; sometimes that stays on for a long and, when it becomes dirty or has build up on it I can peel it off & toss it.

Kitsie 08-04-2014 07:17 AM

I keep several pieces if muslin to just throw over the board when starching. (I use an ironing mat on the table and haven't had to pin it). Wash when needed and us another.) Like Tartan's idea of freezer paper! Will try that.

Lori S 08-04-2014 07:26 AM

I made a cover just turning under the edges of fabric and then used binder clips to attach to the ironing board. I wash mine about every two weeks.

ube quilting 08-04-2014 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6831291)
I iron a square of freezer paper to my main ironing area first thing after replacing my cover. The freezer paper sticks fir quite a while and when it gets nasty, I peel it off and stick on a new square. I have also heard that taking the bottom off of a large brown paper bag makes a sleeve to slip on an ironing board if that is your ironing surface.

I like these ideas. Now I have to put them to use! TFS

I usually put a scrap of fabric folded a few times on the board to absorb over spray and toss it in the wash when dirty.
peace