Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question about table tennis tables (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-about-table-tennis-tables-t271541.html)

Roberta 10-27-2015 06:35 AM

Question about table tennis tables

I happened to see a table tennis table at the local Hospice sale this week. I was wondering if anyone very used that for a cutting table? I would have to put it in the basement to have it fit but I've been thinking about inquiring if it was sold at the yard sale yet.

NJ Quilter 10-27-2015 06:37 AM

Might want to do some wiggling to see how sturdy/steady it is???? But honestly, probably no less so than the 'craft tables' that JAF sells. I have one of that style (bought/sold elsewhere) that is fine for me.

ManiacQuilter2 10-27-2015 06:43 AM

I knew a quilter that used it for pin basting her quilts. I am not sure how well it would work as a cutting table.

selm 10-27-2015 08:21 AM

You would definitely want to put on 'lifters' to raise the height and save your back.

tessagin 10-27-2015 08:35 AM

Use cutting mat should be no problem and depending on your height, lifters. Good size for basting if need be.

Tiggersmom 10-27-2015 09:02 AM

I had one, it was DH's idea. Nice and big, sturdy but it became a place to pile stuff. If you're organized that is great......but I'm not.

Podunk Princess 10-27-2015 10:37 AM

I have one of these that I use for sandwiching and spray basting my quilts in my garage. I bought it at a Salvation Army thrift store for $15. They are wonderful because they are large, fold up, and are on wheels so are very easy to stow away when not in use. As a cutting table, it would work also, but you definitely would need to use risers on the legs to get it up high enough for comfort. Go for it if it's not too expensive and you have the space for it.

EasyPeezy 10-27-2015 11:15 AM

Depending on what shape it's in and how stable it is. Table tennis tables
don't usually have a lot of support so when you are cutting in the middle
you might get a curve. It might still be good now but in the long run
as you apply pressure there will be a bent in the table. I've had that
with my banquet tables and table tennis tables have even less support.
Would be good for quilt basting though. You can take a long quilting
ruler and set it perpendicular to the table and you will see if it lays
flat or not. Check everywhere...specially the middle.

woody 10-27-2015 12:08 PM

I use mine for spray basting outside. It folds up when I'm not using it. Might be a bit low for me to cut on.

Stitchit123 10-28-2015 03:07 AM

I separated mine into 2 pieces. My brother and son attached them to opposite walls on 2x4's and hinges and pulley's so I can raise and hook them out of the way when not in use.And on the bottom I glued those styro-foam poster boards for design walls. They are so much easier to wrangle a quilt on when sewing.Great ironing boards as well as a cutting table. The original legs on one was perfect hgt for a chair to sew comfortably but they did make the other one taller so I don't have to bend over while cutting.