Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   question on changing color of hinges on room doors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-changing-color-hinges-room-doors-t245548.html)

carolstickelmaier 04-21-2014 02:05 PM

question on changing color of hinges on room doors

I know this is off the wall but I am changing all my door hardware inside my home. I am almost done with the door handles but now to the hinges. I really don't want to remove the old ones and was wondering if anyone had heard of something to change the color. I am going from "funky" brass gold to brushed nickel to match my faucets and kitchen cabinet door knobs. Do I paint them, sand them or what. I have 36 hinges to do, so you understand why I am not found of removing all them. Thanks for any help you can give me. I am hoping someone on the board refurbishes old homes and has little known ways to do things.

cizzors 04-21-2014 06:22 PM

I'll be doing the same soon, also to brushed nickel. I'll be checking ebay but more than likely I'll be spray painting them. I will probably have to remove the doors to do so but I have help putting them back up-I hope you do too if that is the way you go. Good luck.

Tartan 04-21-2014 06:48 PM

I wonder if an acid bath might remove the shiny gold finish? I would check at a good hardware store and ask what kind of acid would remove the finish without damaging the metal. If you could find one that would work you could maybe tape them off and brush on the acid rather than submerging them.
Maybe one of the antique sewing machine experts would have some ideas of what to use?

DebbE 04-21-2014 07:03 PM

We finally finished the entire renovation of our home -- and that included new doors (the previous owners smoked in this house for 25+ years, so we weren't going to sand the old ones!), new brushed nickel hinges, new door knobs, etc. The hinges aren't expensive, and yes, its a bit of a hassle, but I bet you'd be happier with the end results.

Peckish 04-21-2014 09:06 PM

I didn't find it a pain AT ALL to remove the hinges and replace them. If you do one at a time, it's nothing. You're simply unscrewing 6 screws, take the hinge off, put the new hinge on, move to the next hinge. I didn't take the doors off, I didn't need help, it was a very simple task.

quilter1 04-22-2014 03:24 AM

It is more work to try an refinish them than to replace them. Make sure you buy the same size hinges and replace them one at a time. You will not be happy if you paint them.

Stitchit123 04-22-2014 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6685877)
I didn't find it a pain AT ALL to remove the hinges and replace them. If you do one at a time, it's nothing. You're simply unscrewing 6 screws, take the hinge off, put the new hinge on, move to the next hinge. I didn't take the doors off, I didn't need help, it was a very simple task.

This is the way I've done it. When I was still working the first thing I did was count hinges and the last thing I did was change them. Painted hinges are not just ugly but once you start painting them you will have to keep painting them and before you know it your hinges will not work so well and you will be replacing them anyway. Hinges are not expensive and you don't have to change the entire house at once. Do each room as you finish the new paint job.

FroggyinTexas 04-22-2014 09:00 AM

Don't take the doors off! I don't know why, but you can never get them to close right again. If you have to take them off, do it one at a time and don't move to the next door until you have the last one up again. And you will be a lot happier with new hinges. froggyintexas

carolstickelmaier 04-22-2014 12:46 PM

Thanks girls, I haven't priced them yet. Still recovering from door handles and locks. Never thought of only removing one hinge at a time. That would work as I will be doing this by myself. Guess next month I will price the hinges. But will remember to remove one and take it with me when looking. I knew I could count on this board to come up with good ideas.

lynnie 04-22-2014 03:22 PM

we did our kitchen 4 yrs ago, we got nice ones for .95/each in brushed nickel
good luck