Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question for computer savy folks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-computer-savy-folks-t255786.html)

mousepotato 10-24-2014 02:21 PM

Question for computer savy folks

Is there some way to take a phrase( or my email address) and designate a couple of keys to type that?
I thought I read of a way but can't find it. Anyone know??

Wow I Like That 10-24-2014 04:02 PM

I'm pretty and have never done that or heard of anyone doing that. That isn't generally what fast keys are for. What are you trying to do this with? If it is Outlook? It it is Outlook or another email, you would add it as a signature. One click or even automatically if you want. If it is Outlook, let me know and I'll walk you through it step by step.

Suzanne57 10-24-2014 08:32 PM

Are you thinking of a "macro" that some programs use?

moonrise 10-24-2014 08:39 PM

Google "macro addon for ****", replacing **** with the name of the browser you use. For example, I use Chrome, so I'd type in "macro addon for Chrome".

allie1448 10-25-2014 05:02 AM

If you need this for writing documents You can set it simply as an autocorrect option. Not sure which software you are using but it is an option on word (microsoft) and on pages (mac software) set in a search option and you will find instructions.

sjdal 10-25-2014 05:10 AM

If you are using an iPad it is located under Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts

OrangeSherbet 10-25-2014 09:51 AM

In my list of contacts I included MLT. And MLT has my email address.

sparkys_mom 10-26-2014 08:57 AM

I used to do that at work with a couple of phrases I needed all the time but after we had a software upgrade I could never get it to work again. :( What I did instead, because I really did need the phrases all the time, was put them into a word document and save it. I kept the document open all the time and would just go into it, copy the phrase, and then paste it into the email I was sending. It saved me a lot of time as well as typos.

As someone else mentioned, if it is something you just want in an email signature, you can set up a signature to go with all your emails.

suzanprincess 10-26-2014 10:20 PM

I used to use auto correct at work, but couldn't find it on later version of Word at home. Thanks to your question, I just did so. In Word, I pressed F1 (Help) typed auto correct in the search slot, and that offered me a video telling me to click on the far upper left Office icon, go to Word options, Proofing, Auto Correct Options. Then enter the text you want replaced and with what, e.g., sac to write out Sacramento, CA 958 or eml to write out (your email address).

barking-rabbit 10-26-2014 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by sjdal (Post 6942596)
If you are using an iPad it is located under Settings>General>Keyboard>Shortcuts

Thank you. I'm doing an online class and I have to type my email often.