Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-t148096.html)

quilterj 08-26-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Whatever your mom owned when she passed is her Estate. You need to find out who the beneficiary of the Life Ins. is. by calling the Life Ins. Company. Did mom take out the life ins. to pay for her funeral & bills owed or was someone else the beneficiary? I agree, that I don't think there will be hospital bills to be paid if she was on Medicare. I had power of attorney for my brother in law & when he passed after brain surgery, I never got a hospital bill.

Yes we know that her funeral is to be paid but not sur of yhe rest of the doc., hosp. bills

donnajean 08-26-2011 03:27 PM

Each state has it's own rules for inheritance when someone dies "without a Will". In PA everything goes to the spouce; if no spouce then equally to children. I believe in Indiana everthing is divided between living parents & children. So, you need to look up rules for your state. That's how I learned the rules for IN where my newphew lives. If mom did not have a Will, than you & your sister probably inherited the trailer equally & you can relinquish your share to your sister so that title can go in her name.

Vicki W 08-26-2011 03:30 PM

Insurance is not part of an estate. It can get tricky, find an estate lawyer if necessary.

hobbykat1955 08-26-2011 03:30 PM

If the trailer was in Mom's name and she didn't sign title over to your sister...then that trailer becomes part of an estate and has to go to probate court to be settled...If it was in both their names then 1/2 the trailer goes into Probate ...Probate ct will set a price for the trailer if fully owned by your mother or 1/2 of it if owned with another person then mother's share is considered part of an estate that the Ct establishes and must be used to pay outstanding bills. If your mother signed over title before she died then no problem, no estate...

Ins...as long in your name or a siblings name that is not part of probate...and can be cashed in by submitting the death cert to the Ins co by the person who was left the ins policy...

DogHouseMom 08-26-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
When your only parent is hospitalized and passes on and they have life insurance. Can the bills be wrote off or are you to pay them off with the insurance money? I mean I know that you can or should pay them. But if someone is the only benificiary are they obligated to be pay if the bills are in your parents name?

It's been a while, and I don't know if laws have changed, but when Mom passed in 1995 in Illinois the estate was responsible for any debts. The inheritance we received was after all debts were paid.

Jim 08-26-2011 10:34 PM

LIFE INSURANCE is NOT part of the estate

IdahoSandy 08-27-2011 04:10 AM

It is the right thing to do since they are your parents and you have their insurance money, isn't that why they brought the insurance in the first place, to pay off their debts.
IdahoSandy

patski 08-27-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj
When your only parent is hospitalized and passes on and they have life insurance. Can the bills be wrote off or are you to pay them off with the insurance money? I mean I know that you can or should pay them. But if someone is the only benificiary are they obligated to be pay if the bills are in your parents name?

I went through that when my husband died and I did not have to pay most of the bills

hikingquilter 08-27-2011 05:23 AM

Might be best to ask an estate lawyer in your state. Call the state bar association for a listing for your area.

susanwilley 08-27-2011 05:27 AM

I think the insurance, depending on how much it is, should pay for the funeral expenses and has nothing to do with the doctor or hospital bills. Most insurances would not be enough to cover hospital expenses. That should come out of the estate if any.