Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Question for those who sell what they make... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/question-those-who-sell-what-they-make-t133550.html)

blzzrdqueen 06-27-2011 11:09 AM

How do you break down what you charge for your craft? How do you know what to charge in your pricing for material when you don't remember how much you paid for what you use out of your stash? I'm making bags to sell on my etsy site and I need to include in my pricing the cost of my materials, but I'm using from my stash and don't remember what I paid for it. How detailed should I get when breaking down my pricing (for myself, not customers) and can you give me examples?

Thanks in advance!!

np3 06-27-2011 11:13 AM

I use what it would cost me to replace the fabric now. Because to make another one, that's how much it would cost you.

lucy78 06-27-2011 11:27 AM

u need 2 chg a little more, because of your time, and it does take time.

Tink's Mom 06-27-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I use what it would cost me to replace the fabric now. Because to make another one, that's how much it would cost you.

This is the way...You may have been able to get the fabric on clearance, but to replace a bag in your stock it will cost $ x.xx.
Don't forget to pay yourself.

blzzrdqueen 06-27-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by lucy78
u need 2 chg a little more, because of your time, and it does take time.

I know, that will be included

bearisgray 06-27-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by np3

That's the cost basis I would use, too.

ckcowl 06-27-2011 12:45 PM

if you are serious about taking on a (selling- market) you really first off need to get organized---and save reciepts!
if you are going to make money with your craft at some point you will have to pay some taxes= good records are a must- and can save you (TONS!)

if you are using your stash you already paid for your fabric- so what is the average you spend on your fabrics? do you shop at wally world and hit the $1 a yard tables? do you use only lqs fabrics and pay anywhere between $8.99 & $11 a yard?
figure out your average- and write it down==if that is the amount you think reasonable. lots of times we figure (about) 3 times the cost of materials- as a pretty fair starting point. some people decide their time is worth a certain amount (like i charge $20 an hour for sewing for people--like hemming- mending--home dec sewing)
when i am selling items i've made i do not bother figuring out if i used 6" of this or a yard of that- i kind of (guest-amate) the total amount of fabric used- it its a purse with 1 1/2 yards of fabric in it- then i use my average fabric price with that amount---i don't worry about individual---but i have all receipts for every piece of fabric used.
you need fabrics/materials receipts also if you are planning on using donations for tax purposes.

brushandthimble 06-27-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by np3

Ditto
even when I buy on sale I price as if I paid retail.