Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilt retreat question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilt-retreat-question-t310000.html)

redstilettos 03-03-2020 09:57 AM

Quilt retreat question

My husband and I (un benknown to my husband, LOL) are looking at properties to rent out as craft/quilt retreats.

I found an old church that I believe would be a great use, but it only has road parking.....

For those who have gone to a retreat....how important of a decision would that be for you?

Thanks for any input :)
Chris

cjsews 03-03-2020 10:08 AM

That would be an issue. We have a lot to unload and reload. Also being there for a few days, I would not want my car left in the street. Hope you find what you are looking for. It could be a great investment ( from a participant point of view).

QuiltNama 03-03-2020 10:21 AM

Hi Chris, I go on retreat every year and would not be too happy to leave my car on the road for 3-4 days. Loading and unloading would be a big problem as most of us on retreat bring half our sewing room. LOL
Peace, Brenda

redstilettos 03-03-2020 10:28 AM

See! This is the kind of honest feedback I wanted.

Thank you so much!!

grammasharon 03-03-2020 10:49 AM

My next question would be how many steps! That’s a killer for some of us.

KalamaQuilts 03-03-2020 11:57 AM

in an old building, my first question would be about inadequate power and miles of cords. I was at a 5 day retreat in Texas in October and we had a choice...air conditioning, or power for irons and machines... no one was happy. You may never need air conditioning where you are but quilters in a group use a Ton of electricity. Fun thinking project though!

zennia 03-03-2020 03:53 PM

I would not be in favor of leaving my car parked along the road for a few days.

Rhonda K 03-03-2020 03:58 PM

I would want a covered area to pull up to with my vehicle for machine loading and unloading. Make sure the walkway is a smooth surface. It is hard to roll bags on cobble stone pavers.

quiltingshorttimer 03-03-2020 05:26 PM

no on-street parking, please. And plenty of dependable electrical wiring, smooth walks/parking to allow rolling carts, a kitchen area for refrig/microwave/food snacks. Is this someplace that people will actually sleep at? I go to a retreat at least once a year where we stay for 2 nights--we share rooms 2-4 per room and have a private bath per room. When we have overflow and have to use an additional cabin with 16 beds and a "gang" bathroom, we get people upset about getting stuck in those arrangement due to over sleeping area and large group shared bath. Good luck--retreats are so fun!

ctrysass2012 03-03-2020 07:23 PM

Check out Bonnie Hunter's site. She has redone a large old house for quilt retreats & has just started retreats this year. Somewhere on her site I think you'll be able to see all she had to refurbish. She did do a parking/drop off area with another spot for overflow parking.