Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilters in Arizona-where do you go in the summer to get out of the heat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilters-arizona-where-do-you-go-summer-get-out-heat-t181526.html)

sewingsuz 03-03-2012 03:10 PM

Quilters in Arizona-where do you go in the summer to get out of the heat?

I live in Cottonwood and it is almost as hot as Phoenix, so I go to the Mountains in the summer. Pinetop/Lakeside area. Where do you go? We are called heat birds.:thumbup:

Drue 03-03-2012 03:43 PM

We live in east Texas..... we usually vacation in Rockport, on the Texas coast...not much cooler, but usually a good breeze and and change of scenery and we love the Texas coast and have been to most every spot on it at one time or another. We have hot and humid most of the summer! I don't think y'all get to deal with a lot of humidity in Arizona. Is this a blessing? I have no idea! LOL,LOL
I guess you learn to adapt to your environment. We bought an old house (1902) in May of '07 and spent 3 years redoing it totally on the inside. We still don't have central air or heat, but do have some room a/c units. I use my a/c in my sewing room when it gets hot in here....can't work in the sewing room and sweat! NEVER! I also don't sleep and sweat! NEVER! (well, only if we have NO POWER)

suebee 03-03-2012 03:46 PM

I have lived in the Valley for 50+ years (born and raised) we too go to the White Mountains, Showlow, Lakeside/Pinetop, love it there. We camp every year up at Big Lake :)

sassey 03-03-2012 06:33 PM

When I lived in Az Phoenix area I treated the heat like people in Wisconsin treat the cold weather stay inside except for work try to go outside in evening after the sun goes down. And the big one was always carry water lots of water in your vehicle if you were going across desert. Do laundry at night time when elec rates were cheeper and it didnt make house as hot because the sun had gone down

bluebird 03-03-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by suebee (Post 5028548)
I have lived in the Valley for 50+ years (born and raised) we too go to the White Mountains, Showlow, Lakeside/Pinetop, love it there. We camp every year up at Big Lake :)

I too, born and raised there, after 60 years of sweating out the summers, moved to MO :-) Valley humidy has increased since we were kids, lots of grass, pavement and buildings. Many, many years ago we enjoyed camping and fishing at Oak Creek, but the trout streams and countryside in the White Mountains are hard to beat.

Jingle 03-03-2012 09:04 PM

It gets way too hot here for me, I couldn't handle that kind of heat. Not an outdoorsy type of person, I stay in the A/C.

Abby'smom 03-04-2012 09:27 AM

When summer comes, the only place for me is inside with the AC -- with our humidity, outside is not nice even very early or very late -- summers are usually miserable!!

j 03-04-2012 09:52 AM

We end up in Oh and KS visiting family and camp in the Northern part of AZ. We use a swamp cooler and until the middle of July it is useful and the windows and doors are still open. We come home to the heat but use the A/C, everything gets done early early morning, stores don't even open early enough. Then stay inside until evening. My husband live in Bahrain for many years and loves the heat. The hotter the better. yikes! - J

kso 03-04-2012 05:26 PM

I live in southern AZ year round at an altitude of 4500ft. We seldom have a day that hits 100. When it is too hot to go out and play, we stay inside.

Murphy1 03-18-2012 06:53 AM

Folsom CA gets hot in the summer too. That is what I love about quilting, if it is raining, I can quilt, if it is hot I can quilt. We use to live in the bay area Silicon Valley, never had AC or really needed it. Here in Folsom, AC keeps it nice inside. The dog and cat like it too.