Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Quilter's pain (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/quilters-pain-t56830.html)

quilt addict 07-29-2010 11:06 PM

All, I thought about what was in her favorite sewing box, a nice old fashioned oval wooden one she kept all her hand work supplies. So here is a list that I have come up with that I know was in that box.

Smallish Sewing box
Pin cushion
Pins
quilting needles
leather thimble
pin cushion
scissor lanyard
small scissors
Safety Pins
Ripper
Marking chalk

I have an extra machine that I am going to give her until she can purchase a replacement. Yes, keep all those serial numbers. And listed someplace besides the computer....they took that which had all the pictures as well as her backup CDs.

BKrenning 07-30-2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang

Originally Posted by Windwalker
This should serve as a reminder to record your serial numbers of everything and take photos. Lock them in a safe place for proof in the event anything is located.

You never recover from the violation.

Unfortunately, we tend to learn after the fact, too.

My stuff was all carefully marked and recorded but it was still taken. Some electonic equipment was actually located halfway across the country, but the police kept it as evidence and I never did get it back. The insurance company treated me like I was the criminal. It's a horrible, horrible experience.

If something is a deal too good to believe, question where it comes from.

In many places you have to fill out a form to get your evidence back from the police and you only have a certain amount of time to do it before it is declared abandoned and auctioned off. Call whatever police department had it and find out their policies. They don't deliver your stuff back--you have to go get it.

bob1414 07-30-2010 05:50 AM

I hope the neighbors that saw the door open with nobody home called the police or someone. How sad - it just sucks that people have to be dishonest.

quiltedrunner 07-30-2010 06:35 AM

This is so sad. :(

I would like an address so I can send something... Hopefully it will be some small comfort knowing the quilting world is in her corner! HUGS

sandpat 07-30-2010 06:47 AM

We were broken into a number of years ago and they also took very strange things....bottles of shaving lotion, little figurines.....clothes, shoes....just weird stuff along with what you would usually think. The police told us that when that happens it is usually gangs from Mexico and that they send truckloads of stuff back across the border to set up whole houses for their families.

It is more than maddening!!!! I feel for your friend. Hope they had good insurance to replace the stuff. The emotional tole won't go away... :evil:

Ms. Shawn 07-30-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I just wanted to share as I have little that I can do to help. My quilting buddy's home was burgled yesterday. The neighbor saw their garage door open in the afternoon with no one home.

The good news is part of her sewing room had been moved to new retirement home in Colorado. The bad news is they cleaned out what she kept to be able to continue to sew until her actual retirement. This includes sewing machines and all her quilting supplies and knitting supplies also.

She is inventoring today to determine if any of her quilts or quilt collection is missing. That as well as all the personnal information they have to deal with on the identity theft problem.

So, I think I will try to gather a little sewing/knitting care package together for her to replace all those notions we take for granted that are always there. It is such an invasion and makes you feel terrible.

Thanks for letting me share my sadness with you.

That is just awful!! I am so sorry to hear that!! :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :-( :thumbdown:

grannyp70 07-30-2010 08:11 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your friends misfortune, please post what she needs and I am sure that most of us here will be glad to help out where we can. but we need to know what she is missing, so post us a list ok. Grannyp70

grannyp70 07-30-2010 08:11 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your friends misfortune, please post what she needs and I am sure that most of us here will be glad to help out where we can. but we need to know what she is missing, so post us a list ok. Grannyp70

KellyK 07-30-2010 12:20 PM

pm me an address as well, also can we list what we are sending so she doesn't end up with ten boxes of pins and nothing else? and favorite fabric types and colors of hers if we want to send a cheer me up type package?

wholehog 07-30-2010 03:33 PM

Quilt Addict,

PM me and I ill be glad to send replacment tools to a fellow Southern Californian.

Chris